Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

dakota: I have an 05 Dakota, 40,000 miles. Since I have bought

I have an 05 Dakota, 40,000 miles. Since I have bought the truck new I have had I believe a Brake problem. After accelerating to 50-55 mph the steering wheel starts to shake, the truck starts to shake and the brakes start to bind up to the point of having to shift gears. It can get rather bad. After I slow down to 35 or park and resume it will stop for a while. 8 years of this and all that I can get is new brake pads or a caliper by dodge or any mechanic and it doesn't last. I'm so tired of it ,I told my mechanic he is going to start with the brake pads and replace everything, even up to the master cylinder and ABS system. Thanks Gregg Schroeder

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! Gregg, this is a sticking isolation valve in the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU). I don't think it is a master cylinder, but just to be safe you may want to replace it also. Do have the HCU replaced and the system thoroughly bled. I am 98% sure that this will fix this problem.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I disengage the ABS system and see if the problem stops ? And how do i Disengage the system

Well that may stop the problem by disconnecting the ABS connector at the control module or removing the ABS fuse, but if the valve in the HCU is physically stuck, it may not help. Go ahead and try it I suppose. There should be one or two fuses labeled ABS in the under hood fuse box. Note: when you remove them, your ABS light will remain on.

Thank you Gregg for the positive rating and bonus!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed 2 fuses(40+15) the truck has never run this good. I did lose speedometer ? the engine light, ABS light And brake Lights are on. Anything nto do about the speedo ??? Gregg Schroeder

Well the speedometer gets It's information from the wheel speed sensors through the abs control module so that makes sense that the speedometer will not work with the abs disabled. Sounds to me like you are on the right track. I say replace the HCU and maybe the controller at the same time. That takes care of the complete control section of the abs system.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That will have to wait ,thats a fortune, Thanks for fixing this problem Chris. Its like driving a new truck ! It never drove better. I cringed everytime I had to drive it before.8 Years and I paid cash for it and Weathers dodge could only try to rip me off.

You are welcome Gregg! Let me know if you need any more assistance in the future,