Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge: I have a 1983 dodge diplomat with a 318 2bl carb, Started

I have a 1983 dodge diplomat with a 318 2bl carb, Started out could not get motor to turn over found bad starter relay have replaced. motor cranks over we get no spark from the coil until its turned off then get one spark, have tried a new coil, ballast resistor, has a new ignition mod and complete dist., have checked all connections, this car had a lean burn system and was converted, it ran great and was only used about 3 days before it was parked for the winter and now no spark any ideas ?

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! Does the distributor have a single or dual pick up coil?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has the 4 prong ign box and I believe its a single prong pickup has only 1 set of wires coming out, this was a conversion kit from jegs to get rid of the lean burn setup on the breather

Ok thanks Joe. Try this for me: Disconnect the 2 way connector at the distributor and turn the ignition on. Now position the coil wire about 1/4 to 1/2 inch near a good ground, and then take a jumper wire and connect it to the male terminal of the pick up coil connector, engine harness side. now take the other end of the jumper wire and touch the other (female) terminal in the connector. Make and break the connection. Every time you do that you should get a spark. Let me know if you do.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no spark at any time what I did was unplugged the 2 wire connector hooked a jumper to the male end and jumped (breaking connection) engine side would be wires going to coil or harness back to ign mod harness, tried both ways no spark

Ok, you should have had 1 spark each time you made and broke the the connection. This almost sounds like the electronic ignition control unit is defective. Maybe try another one if you can and when you install it, make sure that it has a good ground where it mounts to the fire wall. Let me know Joe,

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris I am in the process trying to find a ign mod and will keep you posted on what happens next thanks

Ok Joe, let me know.

Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris thanks again installed new ign mod and did the test you had me do and lo & behold spark, installed new ign mod and all kinds of fire off coil wire, plugged into dist. cap started right up again thanks

Nice!! Joe that is very good news, and glad I was able to help you!!

Chris