Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

dodge dakota: 2002 dakota 8 cylinder surges when started and

2002 dakota 8 cylinder surges when started and when driving around 35 to 45 mph. odometer surges at 1500 rpms to over 2000rpms while driving. seems to be trying to find what gear to be in also . just had a new engine installed at the dealer and it's still doing the surging. what can I tell them to look for?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is usually caused by a bad TCC solenoid in the transmission, this solenoid controls the lock up of the torque converter, and when they get weak, the torque converter lock and unlocks when cruising at a steady speed between 35 and 45, you can verify this by getting to surge, then with your left foot, just lightly press on the brake pedal, not hard enough to slow it down, just enough to turn on the brake lights, id the surging stops, then its abad TCC solenoid, and this is a common problem on these, can you try this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try that. It also surges when just starting it up and it's in park.

that will be a different problem, let first make sure the surging when cruising is not in the transmission,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, can I just go and come back to this site?

Yes, just reply back to this question,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could not get it to act up, of course drove perfectly! Usually when it has sat at work for 10 or more hours, or overnight I have problems. I will try tomorrow. I also think there might be a vacuum (?) leak somewhere, but no one seems to find it. Could that be a reason on the start up?

Yes, it can be, and if its a small leak, it may be difficault to find, we use a smoke machine to find the small leaks, let me know what happens when it acts up,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you're right about the trans, because when it's surging, sometimes there's a "thunk" from under the front end and it acts like it wants to find the right gear.

yes, this definately sounds like a bad tcc solenoid, let me know if it syops surging when you lightly press the brake pedal,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thanks

Anytime my friend,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

truck is back in the shop, they are checking the tcc solenoid. haven't heard from them, yet. I'll let you know. The surging did stop temporarily when I hit the brake pedal. Hope you were right.

if the surging stopped, then the TCC is the most lijely culprit, let me know what they find,Tim