Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge RAM 2500 4x4: My 2001 Dodge 2500 Ram w/5.9L gas has 125,000

My 2001 Dodge 2500 Ram w/5.9L gas has 125,000 miles and is only getting 9 mpg, the tranny was rebuilt almost 2 years ago (15,000 ago) and is shifting like it is under a heavy load. A tech hooked up his analyzer and it read 5 lbs. of vacuum during idle and 7.5 lbs. driving up a hill. Could it be back pressure from a plugged catalytic converter or a bad O2 sensor? What about the sylonoid in the 46RE tranny, I had one go out in my last 2001 1500 5.9L gas.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

What is the engine vacuum at idle?

Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes in the computer?

Amedee
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5.5lbs, No engine light or codes.

Hello and sorry for the delay!

Engine vacuum is measured in inches.. not pounds.

Can you double check this for me using a hand held vacuum gauge? This will help out big time!

Amedee
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought a static vacuum gauge at Advance auto and it read 18 in at idle. My dad said the engine sounds goods. The transmission sounds confused as to shifting from 1st to 2nd. Do you think its the solenoid.

Hello and sorry for the delay!

YES!! It could be a bad shift solenoid inside the transmission. This does happen from time to time. The most common issues we see with these transmissions are a bad Governor pressure sensor and Governor pressure solenoid. These go bad all of the time inside the transmission. I would start by checking the operation of the Output Shaft Speed sensor just to be sure it is working correctly. You can ohm it out using a ohm meter. It should read 500-800 ohms.

If that checks out good, then verify the governor pressure sensor operation. It should be approximately 0.5 volts when the vehicle is not moving. This voltage should increase with vehicle speed. At 20 MPH it should be approximately 1.25 volts. At 40 MPH it should be approximately 2.25 volts. At 60 MPH it should be approximately 3.0 volts. If not, replace the sensor and solenoid together as a pair.

I hope this helps!

Amedee