Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge Dakota SLT: I have an 01 Dakota SLT QC 4WD with the 4.7L

I have an 01 Dakota SLT QC 4WD with the 4.7L V8. 210K on the odo.(I'm 3rd owner) Shifting is often 'indecisive', depends on temp of drivetrain. Shifts sometimes 'flare' and at 55-65 on level road OD is 'touchy'. I've replaced the ATF(+4 synth), both filters, and the TPS. Engine has new plugs, filters, etc. Considering a new governor solenoid and sensor. What do you think? Thanks!
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Did you still need help?

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Amedee
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No codes (I have a ScanGauge installed in the truck) no check engine light.. I had to replace four O2 sensors which failed (one after the other!) so I know the light and the scanner are good. I have periodically checked the scanner for codes when the transmission has one of it's little 'episodes', but so far it hasn't thrown any.

The truck was not driven much in the year before I bought it, and had little real maintenance - so I've been cleaning up the issues - front drive shaft, clock spring, bad spark plugs etc.

Sometimes (at the right drivetrain temp) when starting out the trans will take a second or two to engage 1st. When decellerating down a hill, occasionnally the downshifts will 'bump'.

Once the trans is at a stable temp most of this goes away.

John,

Thanks for the extra detail!

A few things here. If the transmission fluid is full and clean, then yes, I would agree. You could have an issue with the Governor pressure sensor or pressure solenoid. Both are common to cause transmission shifting issues.

Another possible cause would be the input and or output shaft speed sensors. You can ohm these sensors out and compare the readings. Anything higher than 800 ohms indicates a bad sensor.

Also, if you have access to a scanner, you can check the clutch volume index. This will tell you how fast the clutches are engaging inside the transmission. If they are out of spec, this indicates a internal transmission failure.

I am glad I can help!

Amedee
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My scanner doesn't have that level of detail - it just displays whatever might have turned the check engine light, as far as I know.

The transmission fluid ( and the the transfer case) was drained, flushed, and replaced two months ago - along with both filters in the trans.

Do you have any preferences or recommendations for a realtively cheap software package I could get to read all this stuff on a laptop? I looked around for it, but didn't see anything I though was suitable.

If this turns out to be a 'serious' mechanical issue - in your opinion is it best to have the unit repaired (by Aamco perhaps) or just buy a rebuilt trans and install it? I do a great deal of travelling - I have a trusted mechanic who works on the truck - I'm trying to not have to do all of the above... :)

Thanks!

This was a suggestion to take it another step further. If you don't have a scanner that will do this, then you will need to take it to a shop that has this type of equipment.

Do you have any preferences or recommendations for a relatively cheap software package I could get to read all this stuff on a laptop? I looked around for it, but didn't see anything I though was suitable.

The following company makes software that can be used with a laptop to view live data. I am not sure if they will have the correct data you need to view these particular parameters. However, it would be worth a try. Take a look at their web site and you should even be able to contact them with any questions that you may have.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

If this turns out to be a 'serious' mechanical issue - in your opinion is it best to have the unit repaired (by Aamco perhaps) or just buy a rebuilt trans and install it? I do a great deal of travelling - I have a trusted mechanic who works on the truck - I'm trying to not have to do all of the above.

Personally, I would install a rebuilt transmission. Be sure it comes with a warranty.

Amedee