Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

dodge dakota: Ivan have you got the wiring diagram that covers

Ivan have you got the wiring diagram that covers the fuel pump wiring for a 98 dodge Dakota with a 4 cylinder in it..little brother has troubles with his pickup..the fuel pump is not getting electricity back to the pump and I was going to help him but I need the wiring diagram for it...can u help me on this one..thanx Ralph

Ivan : Hellio sir. I'm in the car but will get it to you as soon as I get home.
Ivan : Ivan
Customer:

ok ,at least its not a Kia this time...lol

Customer:

It's blank Ivan...Ok where did you hide it at...

Ivan :

Sorry about the delay. I had some crazy issues come up. If you still need me, give me a yell and I will get it up to you.

Customer:

yeah I need ya in the worse kinda way...went to change fuel pumps in a 98 dodge Dakota with a 2.5 in it and found out that the pump was good and the relay that powers it up was not getting power to turn it on..the wire is good back to the computer and from there who knows? I notice that the fuel gauge runs thru there also and it stays flat on empty...I went ahead and changed pumps and float gauge and it's still setting on empty..does that have any bearing as to why the power relay is not powering up?? Or have I opened another can of worms..?? thanx ralph

Ivan :

ok give me a few and i will get you some info

Customer:

I went ahead and got the Mitchells manual on it along with its 100 wiring diagrams

Customer:

I don't wanna keep ya up too late cause I know ya have to work

Ivan :

Ok, when you say the relay powers up, does that mean the fuel pump relay clicks?

Ivan :

Fuse #1 is in the power distribution center. That fuse feeds the fuel pump side of the fuel pump relay. If the relay clicks, that fuse needs to have power to pass to the fuel pump

Customer:

no the only time it clicks is when I run the wire going to the relay from the computer on the right fender to ground

Customer:

pin 19

Ivan :

See if you have power on the light green/black wire at the fuel pump relay with the key on or while cranking.

Customer:

yeah it has power on it

Ivan :

At pin 4 of the PCM is a Dark blue/yellow wire. See if you ground that wire, if everything powers up. That is for the autoshutdown relay. That relay controls many of the other items. Let me know what happens there.

Ivan :

by any chance does the mileage show up on the instrument cluster?

Customer:

didn't notice about the mileage but I did activate the autoshutdown relay and it made no changes

Ivan :

See if that mileage shows or if it says "no buss"

Customer:

I was reading about all of that stuff and I couldn't figure why it would have the wiring from the fuel level float running to the computer unless it controls something else coming from the computer

Ivan :

The computer reports to the cluster

Customer:

ok

Ivan :

See if the mileage shows. Many times, a component on the data com lines shorts and take the whole system down. As soon as it unplugs it comes back. The cluster usually tanks when this happens. See if you show a check engine light with the key on and if mileage numbers show up on the cluster

Customer:

when I hook the orange and light blue wire going to pin 19 on the puter it works normal when you turn the key on and try to start the truck but it has only hit a few times and has never started like something else was amiss coming out of the puter....but I won't be able to check to see if the mileage comes up and the check engine light till tomorrow cause the truck is at my brothers house 80 miles down the road but I will check it with both the ground hooked and unhooked ...will that be ok with ya..

Ivan :

Absolutely. Let me know what you see then. I'll be around tomorrow

Customer:

ok I'll be on here after 9 tomorrow and I'll check everything I can thing of for ya..goodnite and thank a lot...you've been the best and i don't deal with the others...

Ivan :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sorry about the delay