Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

caravan: on the plug to the gauges for the 96 caravan is the

Customer Question

on the plug to the gauges for the 96 caravan is the solid black wire the ground, and where is it grounded to if so?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! Yes it is a ground wire and it connects to the left side of the dash area underneath near the parking brake pedal. It attach's to a stud or a screw.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to do this myself because I'm very low on money. If I could pay you directly and talk to you the same way it would be great. Maybe we could arrange payments personally. My email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

My name isXXXXX

my phone number is XXXXX

The last set of gauges I got were garanteed. They also "didn't work". A friend told me it was probably the ground wire. I figured the black wire was the one but didn't know where it went to.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Well Mark, I can certainly help you with this. Have you checked for power feeds to the cluster? Do you have a 12 volt test light to check that? If so, I will tell you which wires to check for power.

By the way, It is against just answer policy for me to contact you outside of the web site (sorry)

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the lights and everything come on on the guages, and they "jump" when you turn on the key. I'm guessing there is power but no, I haven't tested that. I have to drive everyday and keep the tank filled with gas because I don't even know how much i have. Believe it or not I'm in an electronics class and my instructor was the one that suggested it was the ground.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok Mark, it sounds like there is power AND ground if the lights come on. Try this for me: with the ignition off, press and hold the trip odometer reset button and then turn on the ignition to the run position, continue to hold the button for about 2 seconds then release the button. Let me know if the cluster goes through it's self test and sweeps all of the gauges.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried what you said and nothing happened. I'm not sure what to do next. I can't afford to take it to a garage.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm ok I guess we need to do that power and ground check. Pull the cluster out and check it for me. I will send you the connector pin out diagram in a bit.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have only just (for visual aspects) have the cluster so I can take it out in just min. I checked all the soldering. I'm pretty good at soldering (I made hearing aids under a microscope and wiring harnesses for garbage trucks)I can't see anything wrong with the soldering.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Okj, here is the connector pin out. Let me know if you have power at the connector.

Chris

graphic

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 - -
10 D1 20VT/BR CCD BUS (+)
11 F11 20RD/WT FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (OFF/RUN/START)
12 - -
13 Z1 20BK GROUND
2 M1 22PK FUSED B(+)
3 - -
4 - -
5 - -
6 E2 22OR PANEL LAMPS DRIVER
7 Z2 20BK/LG GROUND
8 - -
9 D2 20WT/BK CCD BUS (-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now I am in my electronics class. I will have to test the connector later, actually maybe saturday because I work too. How and what should I test for?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

No problem Mark, let me know when you get a chance. But what you will do is to ground the 12 volt test light, turn on the ignition, and then probe the #2 and #11 cavities in the connector. This should light the test light. To check the ground, stick a paper clip into the #7 and #13 terminals, and attach the test light's clip to the paper clip, then recheck the powers again. If the light powers up, then the grounds are ok.

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sure appreciate it. Do they just take the 29 out of my account, or what do I do? Your help was worth it to me. I just wish that when I do check it out that if it doesn't work I could still ask you more questions. My instructor is cool and will allow me to use an ohm meter over the weekend I'm sure.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Mark. All you need to do is to rate my service and if you rate positive, then I will get credit. And I will continue to keep helping you even after you rate me.

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now...how do I get back to you?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Just reply using this same thread / post that we have going. It will be available for weeks.
Thank you Mark for the positive rating and bonus!

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. Cool. Shall I use the ohm meter in place of the test light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to have a quick lunch and then to work. I will get back to you. Thank you soooo much for your help.

Mark
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome Mark! If you can, try to use the test light because it will put a little load on the circuit. A digital voltmeter will read voltage, but does not load the circuit. I want to see a nice and bright light when you test the circuits. Ask your teacher why I want you to use a light instead. He can explain it to you if needed.

Chris