MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

I have a 2009 dodge journey that keeps overheating coolant

I have a 2009 dodge journey that keeps overheating coolant is normal color it has noheat and the fan works what could cause that to happen

MoparHeat :

Hello! Thank you for your inquiry. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you...

When you stated it has no heat, were you meaning interior heater?

MoparHeat :

With the thermostat, you install it in the same direction as the one that was removed and insure the hole on thermostat flange is mounted upwards.

Customer:

yes it has no interior heat and yes i believe i replaced the thermostat correctly it has overheated to the point of not starting and when it attempts to start there is a nocking noise from the lower half of the engine

Customer:

also i left it runnig

MoparHeat :

Alright, first thing is this engine does not need to be run or could lead to catastrophic failure. You either have a restriction or bad water pump.

Customer:

also i left it running for an hour and touched the radiator hose and it was cold to the touch

MoparHeat :

Due to the vehicle having no interior heat I believe the water pump itself has failed.

MoparHeat :

Not cycling the coolant through the engine and rest of cooling system.

MoparHeat :

The water pump is inside the timing cover driving by the timing belt.

Customer:

where is it located on the dodge journey

MoparHeat :

It is inside the timing cover and is driven by the timing belt.

Customer:

if i replace that and still continues do u have a second theroy

MoparHeat :

The only thing other than the water pump it could be is there is a bad restriction in the cooling system. The most likely places for a restriction are the radiator or the heater core due to small passages within them. The heater core being restricted wouldn't cause an overheat condition but would however cause no heat to the interior of vehicle. So your most likely cause of restriction is the radiator.

Customer:

i will try to replace those things and go from there thank you for your time and knowledge

MoparHeat :

No problem at all! If you need any further help or information please don't be hesitant to reply. I will be glad to help!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found a plastic t that was cracked letting all the coolant out it was not the thermostat nor the water pump thankfully

That is great news! Saves a lot of trouble. It would seem that leak was creating an air pocket in system once enough leaked out. Which can stop the flow, cause no interior heat, and the overheating. I should have asked how much coolant you had to add or how often you were adding coolant. I had assumed by "topped off" that it wasn't much. I apologize for not inquiring about a leak in which as you have found was much easier to replace than a water pump for sure. If you need anything else Norman please let me know and I will be glad to help. Thank you!