kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

ram 1500 4X4: how do you remove the right front axle bearing?

how do you remove the right front axle bearing? everything i have read and seen is about the seal. i need to replace the bearing. i know the bearing is in the intermediate shaft but is there a piece of machined metal that the bearing sit aginst that stops it from going in to the cad? do i need to take apart the axle housing in order to properly remove and install the new one? any help will be accepted by all.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

kalamykid :

Do you have to replace the right front hub bearing or the axle bearing in the front axle housing?

Customer:

Right front hub is good it the bearing in the houseing

kalamykid :

There is not axle bearing in this front diff. The only bearings are the hub bearings and the carrieor bearings. The axle is a full loating axle, so there are no bearings on the ends of the housing for the axles.

Customer:

So no bearings at all in the axle except the hub bearings and the bearings on the diff gear

Customer:

The only reason I ask is I'm looking at the chilton manual and it shows a bearing next to the shift fork in the intermediate axle shaft

kalamykid :

The axles float in the front diff. The axles slide into the carrier and slide through thehousing and into the hub bearing. The only thing That will touch the axle will be the axle seals on the ends of the housing.

Customer:

ok thank you that helps me a bunch and now i can get this truck back together.

kalamykid :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

one last question for you its a total of three seals correct one on each side of the end of the axle and the one in the housing right

kalamykid :

Yes the two axle seals, and the pinion seal

Customer:

ok

kalamykid :

If you are replaceing the pinion seal, make sure to torque the flange nut down before you put the rear cover back on. this way you can use asomething to hold the carrier so it will not move.

kalamykid :

Do you need the torque specs for the flange nut?

Customer:

no i got the specs i did the pinion before just never this befor and i was going off of what i have been told by other people and by what the book is telling me and i wanted a professional input.

kalamykid :

It's never a bad idea to get a second opinion SOme times it will save you time and alot of headaches.

Customer:

yeah i have been staring at it for three days and lost a bunch of sleep

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q