Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Chrysler Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

2500: Is there a fuse to replace on a 2012 Dodge Ram Truck

Is there a fuse to replace on a 2012 Dodge Ram Truck in order to get the interior lights on a trailer to work?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

What type of trailer do you have? also, what style is the electrical connector that gets hooked up to the truck? Also, if you can either post a picture of the trailer connector or a pinout so I can check the compatibility between the two...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I have a good grasp on whats going on. The interior lights on any of my three enclosed trailers do not work with my 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie. It is factory wired with only about 10,000 miles on it. There is no constant power in the 7 way plug at the rear. I have looked in the owners manual to find a fuse that may be the problem and it states a fuse in the box by the number, but the number in the manual is nowhere to be found in the fuse box. All three trailers lights do work with other vehicles. All the exterior lights work with this dodge but the interior courtesy lights do not.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! Let me look up the wiring diagram for the trailer wiring. I will be right back. Do you have a 12 volt test light to check for voltage at the trailer connector on the truck? Also, does your trailer have It's own 12 volt battery?

Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I just saw that Robert started to help you. Disregard my reply.

Chris

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the fuse for the constant power back at the trailer connector is fuse J1. I'm posting a wiring diagram for the Trailer 7-way connector and also a fuse location chart so that you can find the fuses...

If the fuse is good, then I recommend taking the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis. It is very possible that the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) has disabled the circuit due to a wiring issue. When the TIPM disables a circuit, it usually won't come back up until the problem is fixed and the codes are cleared out from memory... Unfortunately, a generic scanner is not able to access codes from the TIPM module so the dealer must do this....

Here is the diagram and fuse locations as promised:

Diagram - Click here to view

Fuses - Click here to view

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .

Thank you!

Robert

PS - Sorry about the delayed response, I didn't get a message that you had replied....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so here is my dilemma. I have your diagram and my fuse box and they dont match. There is no such J1 fuse in my fuse box. I have looked and looked over it but I have yet to find a match. Is the fuse box your talking about in a different location?

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
It's possible that my diagram is incorrect. The fuse box that I am referring to is under the hood just forward of the Driver Side Battery. Is this where you are looking?
If it is the one that you are referring to, is it possible to take a picture of yours and post it here, I will be happy to help you find the correct fuse on your picture... let me know if you can do this...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok that is the fuse box that I am in. I have incliuded the fuse box panel picture for you to review. It does list a J1 on the panel legend but there is no corresponding J1 fuse in the diagram in the same panel.

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the Pic,

Are you stating that there is no position J1 in your panel? Or is there no fuse in the J1 location?

Can you post a pic of the actual fuse panel also? I should be able to help you if I also have a pic of your fuse panel...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok here it is.

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for posting the picture, but for some reason that pic came through way too small, so I am unable to see the individual fuses.

Is there no fuse in the J1 position or is there no J1 Position?

I will take a pic of a 2012 Stock Unit tomorrow from my work and post it here for you.
Hopefully it will help you figure out where the correct fuse is located.......

Thanks in advance for your patience while I gather the correct information for you...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no J 1 position. thanks

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'll take pictures of a new truck fuse panel tomorrow and will post the information for you asap.

If I don't reply in a timely manner tomorrow, please post a reply to keep me on track....

Thanks,

Rob

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I finally had a chance to take some pics, I have a pic of the Fuse Panel Door and also the fuse panel itself with the J1 Fuse circled in red...

Check to be sure that the J1 Fuse is present and also if there, look at it carefully to see if it is blown. If it is missing, of course you will need to put one in...

If the fuse is there and looks good, let me know, We can continue if necessary....

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Robert

Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience: Chrysler Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified