Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Ram 3500: I have a 2007 Dodge 6.7 cummins. I have lost power

I have a 2007 Dodge 6.7 cummins. I have lost power to the point that the truck will not run over 10-20 mph. When in drive with brake applied can only reach about 1100 rpm. In neutral can reach 1500-1800 rpm before truck starts bucking, surging; Will roll black smoke any time the fuel is applied. Had codes for DPF full and ash accumulation. Deleted truck using programmer no change in power. I now have codes p007d, p2262 (turbo charger boost pressure not detected), had another code for map sensor circuit low. I am thinking whatever is causes this is what caused my DPF to become full. What could be causing this.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! Sounds like a plugged DPF and a failed/stuck turbo actuator. When you said you "deleted truck using programmer", did you just change software in the ECM?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Completely removed dpf from truck and replaced with straight pipe. Used programmer to update ecm where the truck would run correctly without Dpf. However still have the same symptoms as when DPF was clogged. Something besides the Dpf is the problem

Was told I might have a fuel pressure problem?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks. Well since you are getting the P2262, that tells me the Variable Vane turbocharger actuator is stuck, and that is causing your low turbo boost, and low power. The turbocharger will need to be cleaned or replaced. Now this may be covered under the Cummins powertrain warranty, but if you take the truck in with the DPF removed, then they may void your warranty. So either pay to have the turbo cleaning port installed and the turbo cleaned, or reinstall the DPF and have the dealer take care of this for you. If you are over 100,000 miles, then you will need to have the turbo cleaned or replaced.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My turbo already has a cleaning port installed. My truck is over 120,000 miles. Apparently it has been cleaned before.. I bought truck with 60,000 miles on it. Since the turbo has been cleaned before would it be better to replace rather than clean it? Is this something that is commonly caused by a clogged DPF? Also loss of power came immediately. In that I mean truck ran fine stopped and when I went to take off began the symptoms I described before. Did the clogged DPF cause all of this? Or could there be another problem that caused the black smoke and caused the DPF to become full. Was told I could have a fuel pressure problem causing all the black smoke and no power?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if it has the port, then I would try having it cleaned first. If that does not help, then the turbo will need to be replaced. Now a clogged DPF does not cause the turbo to fail, but contaminated fuel, high sulphur oil, or high sulphur fuel will cause the turbo to soot up, and the DPF to clog up. So make sure you have good quality low sulphur oil, and ultra low sulphur fuel. Otherwise this will happen again. One more thing" If you still have the EGR valve and EGR cooler installed, then remove all EGR components and intake plenum and clean the soot out of them also.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech