-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge RAM 3500 4x4: I have a loud whine coming out of the exhaust

Customer Question

I have a loud whine coming out of the exhaust pipe on my 08 Ram 3500 6.7 cummins. Mostly when it is cold. Sounds like a bearing whine. Just started 3 days ago. 133,000 kms. I had the exhaust and chip done in Aug of this year.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Brad, I will do whatever I can to answer your question

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating MY SERVICE and not this website itself.
I'm a 15 Yr Dodge dealership Cummins technician and I will need to ask a few questions before I can suggest a repair. The noise you hear could be turbo. Does the noise go away when hot? If you power brake can you hear the noise? Is there any codes in the ECM?

Post results,
Brad

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It seems to go away when it's hot. I noticed my engine brake comes on a lot. I don't have it in tow mode. I can not really hear it in the cab when I'm driving. I really don't know about the codes;

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 years ago.

The exhaust brake should only engage when you have the button pressed in the dash.. Besides the noise, have you felt any driveability issues?

Brad
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I am going around 40 mph and let up on the fuel pedal the exhaust brake seems to kick in. The tow button is not in. I have not noticed any other driving problems. I thought when I had the work done with the mini max setup change exhaust system and chip. 3200 dollars worth. I wanted better mileage which has happened. It also sounds like a siren coming from the transmission when starting out.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 years ago.

What do you have the programmer at when it sounds loud? Is it the Hot setting?

Brad
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just went out and started the truck up and there was no sound for maybe 5or 6 seconds and then the sound. The pyro on the on the mini max was bouncing around at between 250 and264.

All the gauges are normal and the heat is normal everyware.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 years ago.

-Thanks for the reply!!!

Does it sound like THIS ? If so that is completly normal and you should be in good shape..

If you need anymore assistance, feel free to ask

Register Here
!!
Have a great night!!!
Brad