Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified over 24 years. Bumper - bumper tech indepentant shop/ manager
12331040

hello i have a 90 dodge ramcharger and stupid me went by the

Customer Question

hello i have a 90 dodge ramcharger and stupid me went by the book and put dextron in the trans well i think i broke it because i found a lot of metal shavings and peices and parts in the pan ...well it still pulls but only in first will not shift n e more. do i need another trans or can this one be saved?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Scott :

Hello, I am Scott and I will assist you with your vehicle concern.

Scott :

Well, it does call for DEX II so if you put DEX III in it, you should have been o.k. Even the wrong stuff, just for a short time, a couple thousand miles, should not damage it; however, it might begin to chatter, at which point many realize what they did.

Scott :

As far as the chunks of brass and metal... I am assuming you see silver and gold, there is something really broke, and you will either need a hard part replacement during a rebuild or a replacement. Either way, the trans is coming out.

Scott :

Now, depending on what you do, you will need to flush out ALL the lines and the Transmission cooler. If you have an external cooler along with your radiator cooler, replace the external. You will never get all the chips out of the external.

Customer:

ok well i did not make n e noises but it did start to get stuck in first and started happening more and mor till i lost 2nd gear then 3rd and now all i have is first i noticed the oil was very dark not red at all and i just replaced it with wat the book called for but i heard it should have atf+4 is this true and did i blow the trans for good

Scott :

DEX 2 is what it calls for, and you could have move up to DEX 3. +4 is pretty much the newer models

Scott :

As far as damage, like I stated above, chunks are pretty much catastrophic.

Customer:

ok so wat needs to happen is the trans need to be pulled wich i have done 3 times now from my engine rebuild project but can u tell me what exactly need to be replaced/repaired i am trying to rebuild the trans myself.....i know glutton for punishment

Scott :

The rub here... you will not know until you are in. Sun gears, sprag's, drums... it's anyone's guess at this point. Even with the soft part replacements and the torque converter, it will be pricey.

Scott :

For the price, and the vehicle, you could probably find a good priced rebuild or reman and save yourself the aggravation.

Scott :

But flushing everything is most important. That kills replacements all the time, and quickly.

Customer:

well thanx for your time but honestly i am no smarter than i was before right?

Scott :

Sure you are. You just have to decide what is best for you. Many find transmissions to be quirky and do an average of two to three in and outs before it is right. Remember, this ALL comes down. You will not only be looking for the obvious, but also the fractured, cracked and loose.

Scott :

Example, a crack in the drum, causes fluid loss. After a time, the lack of pressure can cause more damage to other components due to slipping over time. You will also be looking for root causes.

Customer:

well i guess i am satisfied but i just was hoping for a more complete guide or walkthru of an auto trans in generall wat is proceeder for the inspection of stated hard and soft parts

Scott :

Honestly, on an overhaul, it gets down to using Micrometers and dial gauges.

Scott :

As well as the physical inspection, and the applying of air to fluid circuits to verify there will be clutch apply on reassembly.

Scott :

Unlike an engine rebuild where there is some tolerance in play, there is zero in transmissions.

Scott :

You gotta pick what is right for you.

Customer:

ok is there some physicle guide or processes that you can direct me to because i have done all automotive repairs i am also ase cert. but never ever felt the need to get in to an auto trans till this point and really im a little concerned that eyeballing a trans even with the rite equipment will be cause for concern

Scott :

Info I could have used. I usually talk with DIY'ers here. Sorry man.

Scott :

I use Mitchel on Demand for my spec's and many use Aldata. I know Aldata has a guest port that will allow you to use it for a limited time for a small bit of money.

Customer:

k will either have to locate said documentation or just have it rebuilt by a shop....grrrrr. good thinkin i will try there but i fell it wont tell me what i want to know but i guess i need to reserve my judgment

Customer:

no offense man just paid for free air

Scott :

It will. Basically like the manuals. I also do not feel that I deserved the "Poor Service" but it is your right.

Customer:

well i would not like that either so i will revise

Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified over 24 years. Bumper - bumper tech indepentant shop/ manager