Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

Do: In 2005 Dodge Dakota Service 4WD light comes on intermittently

In 2005 Dodge Dakota Service 4WD light comes on intermittently then goes off. Shifts into 4HI on its own every once and awhile. Shifts in and out of fourwheel after opening door and with ignition key out. All these problems come and go. John

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! I have seen this before, and the problem is in the IPM (Integrated Power Module). The IPM directly controls the transfer case's shift motor. If this problem is happening even with the key off then it has to be a failing IPM. The IPM is the under hood fuse box by the way.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris: Thanks for your prompt response. Is the IPM something I can replace. I am a willing mechanic wanabe. John

Yes it is. And actually I see that this model Dakota uses a separate Front Control Module (FCM) attached to the IPM. It is the FCM that contains the electronics and that is what you want to replace. Here is a little info on removing the FCM. I think you should be able to do this.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the Integrated Power Module (IPM) from the engine compartment, .
Remove the four fasteners (2) securing the Front Control Module (FCM) to the Integrated Power Module (IPM).
Separate the FCM from the IPM by pulling the two straight away from each other to disengage the electrical connector.

WOOPS! I forgot the picture of the FCM. Sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris: Thanks for diagram. I'm going to give this a try. I may sign up for a month if I can exchange info with you. $15 bucks well spent Thanks John

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris: I do have a follow up question. I got side tracked and started looking for TCCM (transfer case control module) under the dash near the steering wheel. I took the knee bolster off and did not see a module. So I want to confirm that the front module does control the 4WD drive actuator and is located behind the electrical distribution box (the big fuse box). Looks like a couple of screws hold every thing together. I get confused by although the different terms. Is integrated power module same as the fuse box. Thx, John

Yes John that year did not use a TCCM. The FCM is responsible for transfer case motor operation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris: Thanks! John

You are welcome John!