cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to work on all makes and models

My 2000 Dodge Dakota wont start, but has spark to plugs and fuel to top of injectors. It

My 2000 Dodge Dakota wont start, but has spark to plugs and fuel to top of injectors. It was running fine coming home then just started missing and died. I was doing 70 mph when it started missing.
Is the security light on solid or flashing when trying to start the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Security light on solid. Truck has 185K miles on original engine Never replaced injectors.

Ok the security light is the issue. The immobilizer is not allowing the injectors to operate. Is the vehicles battery fully charged?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, It turns over great, just wont start. I removed the injectors on the passenger side to verify they were getting fuel to them from the rail. Fuel is in rail. Opened fuel filler cap and removed pressure on rail through test port. Replaced fuel filler cap and tried to start again to ferify fuel pump was pumping fuel. Test port had pressure on it after trying to start again so i know fuel pump is sending fuel to rails. Truck tried to fire with injectors on passenger left side out just now while testing the security light for you.

If you spray starting fluid in the throttle body it should start and stall let me know. The immobilizer is the issue either the key, signal to the immobilizer unit or the ignition switch itself is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is the immobilizer unit and where is it located. What would be the best way to repair (new ignition switch, new immobilizer unit)? Do i need to put the passenger side injectors back in before trying to start?

Yes please reinstall the injectors then let me know if it starts with the starting fluid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did not start. Did not have any starter fluid so used Sea Foam. Sprayed into throtle body, both with gas pedal press and not. However it did try to start when I had the injectors out and tested the security light for you. Some gas leaked diretly into the cylinders when I was removing the injectors from the rail.

Sea foam will not work has to be carburetor cleaner or throttle body cleaner .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ill have to get back with you tomorrow as I dont have any starter fluid or carburator cleaner on hand and Im 20 miles from nearest auto store. However I used some B12 carburator cleaner and it tried to start.

Ok that's the issue the ignition switch is bad or the key or the immobilizer unit. Best option is to have a mobile locksmith come to you and fix this and save you a lot of money. He can try to reprogram the key and can also get any code stored. These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks!Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Key for this truck is not a programmable key. It does not have a fob. Just your basic key. Should I replace ignition switch or immobilizer unit? Not sure what the immobilizer unit looks like or where located?
There is a chip in the head of the key for the immobilizer system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, I have a second key. Ill try it and see if it works. If not will, do I need to call a car key specialist of just any locksmith?

Any Mobile locksmith can come to you and reprogram and fix this issue for you. These are the next steps. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks!Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2nd key wont work either. Still not sure the keys have a chip. I had keys made at local ACE Hardware and they worked when I had them made.
Do me a favor check Fuse #12 in the fuse box at the end of the dash might be the issue. This is referred to as the IOD fuse and is encased in a plastic housing. Use a test light or voltmeter to test it if you can . If it's bad replace it and you should be fine let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fuse #12 is fine. Removed and inspected visually plus checked with voltmeter. Headed to town now to get some starter fluid to do the throttle body test.

Ok keep me posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would not start with Starter Fluid. Tried to fire slightly once but thats all.

Whats next?

You sprayed it with the flap held open correct in the throttle body?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok and the security light is solid and you have good spark ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok have you checked compression and fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have tools to check compression or fuel pressure. I have spark, but seems weak to me.
Ok I would test the crank sensor next then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the crank sensor located and what is needed to replace it. Can you send picture of location?
  1. The CKP is located on the right rear of the block
  2. Disconnect the harness
  3. remove the mounting bolt
  4. use to screwdrivers and pry it side to side to dislodge it.
  5. replace the sensor. apply some oil to the new o-ring when in installing it

Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could the truck have jumped time. With 185k+ I'm sure the timing gears & belt/chain are worn? It seemed to have lost some power over last year.
Is very possible I would also check that and not rule that out.