Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Ram 2500: i have a 2006 dodge ram 5.9l cummins. i was camping

i have a 2006 dodge ram 5.9l cummins. i was camping and the battery died,(i only have one) and we had no jumper cables, so my friend let me borrow the battery out of his truck to start it. i know this was a dumb idea but we were left no choice being stranded and all but be tried to swap his good battery out and my dead battery in while the truck was still running so that it might start charging the dead battery. the truck died and then would turn over but not start. i checked the fuse box and the number 42 fuse "diesel pcm" was blown. i put another fuse in and it blew as well. my obdII tester could not read, and said "error1". i got my ohms meeter out and found that one prong was full positive and the other was complete negative, a direct short. i looked every where for shorting or freying wires but found none. i discovered that when the ecm plug closest to the firewall was unplug that the truck would not blow the fuse. i called multiple people and they said my pcm was fried so i sent it out to get tested and refurbished. the people said there was a burnt component inside and for 600$ they fixed it. they did not ask for a vin# XXXXX said they didnt need it for reprogramming it. i got the pcm back installed it, the fuse does not blow now, but the obdII still reads error, and the truck starts but after only 3 seconds it turns itself off. also the securrity light is constantly flashing on the dash when they key is on "on" position, but key still works to unlock doors remotely so the battery and chip inside the key i assume are functional. someone help me!? ive been without a vehicle for a month now.
Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! What needs to be done next i's to have the dealer connect their StarScan tool to the truck and tell the WCM (wireless control module) that the PCM has been replaced. They will enter a 4 digit pin # XXXXX that will transfer the information from the WCM into the new PCM. Then the truck will stay running. It takes about 10 minutes to do this. Now some mobile lock smiths can come out to your truck and do this for you. That way you will not need to tow the truck to the dealer.
I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just clarifying, but the pcm is my original pcm it is not new, it was just fixed,

could any of this explain why my obdII scanner does not read any codes and simply says "error1"

Hmm, that is strange. Ok if you are positive that it is the same PCM then the problem is that your repaired PCM i's not communicating on the CAN bus network. That would explain why the obd reader can not communicate and why the wcm does not "see" the PCM. Then what I would do i's to see if your locksmith can communicate with the wcm. If there is a communication problem , then there will be a trouble code in the wcm. That would be the next logical step.

Chris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i wrote down all the part and label numbers before i sent the pcm out just to make sure they sent me back my original unit and it is. at the moment i cant get ahold of any locksmiths none loacal anyway, but when he does come, if he is able to connect to the wcm, what does he do?just clear the codes and try to reset it? and if he cant connect to it, do i have to send my pcm back to the place that supposably fixed it?

Well if he can connect to the wcm, then it will depend on what he sees. If it is a communication problem in the PCM, then yes you will need to send it back to the place that "fixed" it and explain to them what is going on. If the lock smith sees that the wcm needs to be told that the PCM was replaced, then he can program it right there. I am thinking that maybe the place that fixed it reset the PCM completely, and now the VIN # XXXXX PIN # XXXXX to be reprogrammed in the PCM, and the lock smith can do that.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Chris I have the auto lock smith guy here now and for some reason is computer is displaying "ecu not found" he entered a four digit code, and tried optimizing something but nothin seems to work any more ideas? Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you today was the only day I could get the locksmith to come

Sorry I was not able to get back to you then, but I have been at a Chrysler training center all day and just now got home. If the lock smith's computer is not seeing the WCM, then the WCM has most likely failed and that is why it will not start. It looks like the WCM will need to be replaced and then your key(s) programmed to it. Maybe the lock smith can do that for you. If not, then you will need to go to the dealer.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Took truck to dealership found to be a bad Tipm thanks for your help chris
Ok that is ra little strange but glad you got it fixed. Usually when a TIPM fails, the engine won't even crank. I guess that whatever fried the pcm also damaged the TIPM. Let me know if you need further help on other issues Kenny and have a good weekend.

Chris