autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance
157591

1996 Dodge Ram 1500: Oil pressure guage drops to zero and light

Customer Question

1996 Dodge Ram 1500: Oil pressure guage drops to zero and light comes on when idling. When I accelerate, guage returns to normal and light goes off. Have replace oil pump and sensor but still happens.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 2 years ago.

autodoc_2000 :

DO you know what brabd sensor was used to replace the original sensor? If it was an aftermarket or not from the dealer I would replace it with ine from the dealer. I have had issues with aftermarket oil pressure sesnors. If it was already one from the dealer the next step would be to check the bearings on the crankshaft to see if any are worn out of spec. These will cause the oil pressure to drop also.

Customer:

I'll check. Does checking bearings on crankshaft require pulling engine apart? The engine is a rebuild. Would a pump or sensor be replaced on a rebuild?

autodoc_2000 :

The pumnp should have been replaced, but the sensor would just have been swapped from the old engine. Checking the bearings requires dropping the oil pan.

Customer:

Just picked up the car. Currently, the truck has a new high-volume pump and new sensor. Pressure gauge seems to be holding whether or not accelerator is pressed but oil pressure light still flickers on occasionally.

Customer:

I'll drive it a bit a see how the gauge/light respond.

Customer:

Problem persists. At idle with truck in gear, the pressure gauge drops to ZERO and the oil light goes ON.

Customer:

I'm in to this almost $500.00 and still no difference.

Customer:

Help!?

autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Hi, was the screen in the oil pump pickup replaced? They are very fine and commonly clog.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll check. Would that have been automatically replaced when the pump was placed?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Not necessarily. It's the tube that screws into the oil pump and is the pick up that feeds the pump. I usually cut the screen out on those pick ups on 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9 engines if I'm there. There's no need for the screen and those engines tend to build up little hard bits of carbon that clog the screen. Cut it out and let the oil pump bring them up and it winds up in the filter instead of clogging the screen. If something big enough winds up where the screen would be, you have a sizable issue anyway.
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

How many miles are on this engine? Also do you hear clattering from the engine at idle when the gauge reads bad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Sorry for the consistent delays in my answers. I'm on vacation.)
Engine has about 78000 miles. No clattering in engine.
Screen was replaced.
Mechanic has also put in an oil additive and 30 SAE.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

I would not put sae 30 oil in it. If you used an aftermarket oil pressure switch, try a mopar one. If that doesn't fix it, next step would be putting a mechanical gauge in the oil switch port to see if the pressure is really too low or its a bad signal getting to the oil light.