Kevin
Kevin, Dodge Technician
Experience:  15 years working at a Chrysler dealer Master Tech Owner Of Kevins Mobile Repair Atlanta
10592253

Dodge Dakota SLT: check gauge light goes on then battery gauge

check gauge light goes on then battery gauge goes completely down and battery is drained replaced battery checked alternator changed terminals and powertrain control madule still doing same problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Kevin :

Welcome to just answers my name is Kevin

Kevin :

do u have a bolt meter?

Kevin :

volt

Customer:
Customer:

yes

Kevin :

ok go out to the alternator and check for 12volts at teh main red wire going to the alt

Kevin :

are u doing something?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
kevin i tried to reply but the page wouldnt let me reply back had taken starter off because there was a wire loose and going to have it checked when i return will keep you posted
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Starter? Are we not talking about charge the batter ? Not starting the truck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes we are talking about check gauge light and battery gauge going all way down and then battery loosing all its charge checked red wire to alternator and its not showing nothing
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
So no 12 volts then? U want to look at the fuse then in the power distribution center under the hood
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

all fuses good

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
sorry there is a fusible link from the battery to the alternator I am sure that is burnt in half
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
kevin the alternator was showing 12 volts when truck was off i did not do it right the first time when i said it didnt but when i turn the truck on it reads 11.87 and the battery reads 11.5 volts
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
ok so u have the 12volts at the alternator ok then
disconnect the other connector U will have a power source and ground plussing which one is missing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
had a mechanic come out the alternator was bad it was showing charge
Charge but after it ran for a while
the charge would go down had it replaced this morning working fine
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Good deal glad it was taken care of .
Kevin, Dodge Technician
Experience: 15 years working at a Chrysler dealer Master Tech Owner Of Kevins Mobile Repair Atlanta