Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Dodge Journey SXT: 09 Dodge Journey 3.5 overheated twice. Coolant

Customer Question

09 Dodge Journey 3.5 overheated twice. Coolant under reservior tank, looks like it came from overflow. Tank was empty or near empty on both occasions. No visible leaks around intake or head mating surfaces. Hoses look good. Checked reservior for leaks, none. Have not verified cooling fan operation. Suspect thermostat.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Yes the thermostat is a very common trouble spot from you description replace the thermostat and make sure the fans are working properly , if the engine still heats up then we will need to do a chemical head gasket test ,. There is a chemical test kit available at most parts stores which will detect any cylinder combustion thats present in the cooling system . Let me know what you find and we will test further from there
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just checked 60 A's OK. No indication of of coolant in oil. Not sure of procedures to check fan relay. I will replace thermostst and go from there. Is thermostst located in housing coming off right side of intake manifold on upper hose?

Yes correct that's where it is located if you still have a problem after that then let's do the chemical head gasket test