Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Dodge durango: Can anybody show me how to replace the ecu from

Can anybody show me how to replace the ecu from a 2000 dodge durango.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

The ECU(dodge calls it a PCM in directions) is located in engine compartment on the passenger side fender.

graphic

REMOVAL

To avoid possible voltage spike damage to the PCM, ignition key must be off, and negative battery cable must be disconnected before unplugging PCM connectors.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Remove cover over electrical connectors. Cover snaps onto PCM.
  3. Carefully unplug the threeXXXXXconnectors from PCM.
  4. Remove three PCM mounting bolts and remove PCM from vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Install PCM and mounting bolts to vehicle.
  2. Tighten bolts to 3 - 5 N·m (30 - 40 in. lbs.)
  3. Check pin connectors in the PCM and the threeXXXXXconnectors for corrosion or damage. Repair as necessary.
  4. Install threeXXXXXconnectors.
  5. Install cover over electrical connectors. Cover snaps onto PCM.
  6. Install battery cable.
  7. Use the DRB scan tool to reprogram new PCM with vehicles original Identification Number (VIN) and original vehicle mileage. If this step is not done, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) may be set.

Make sure wherever you buy the new one from that you provide your Durango's VIN code and mileage so that they can program it for you. If not programmed, the vehicle will not start. Also, used units from salvage yards cannot be reporgrammed so you cannot used a salvage yard one.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

graphic
View Full Image

REMOVAL

INSTALLATION

4. Install threeXXXXXconnectors.
  6. Install battery cable.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where can i get a DRB scan tool
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

As long as you have the PCM programmed with your VIN code and mileage prior to installing it, you dont need to the DRB scan tool.

Almost every parts store you order it from will request your VIN code and mileage so that it is programmed by the supplier before the ship it out to you or your parts store.

IF you buy one unprogrammed, then you will need to run it by the dealer to be programmed. Usual charge is 1 hour labor, which is cheaper than buying a DRB scan tool. They run from $5000 to $8000

Again, just make sure to supply your VIN code and mileage and order it to come programmed already and you will not need to the scan tool. Already programmed, it is just plug in and go.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok got it thank u
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

you are welcome!

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
Please note that the JA site is experiencing reported temporary technical difficulties with the new rating system. This will be resolved shortly. If the site does not accept your rating, please kindly respond that you accept my answer and how you would rate my level of service. This will ensure that I receive the proper rating and credit for my time. Thank you.