Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner
22989858

Dodge Cummings Diesel: Where is fuel shut off valve for 2001

Customer Question

Where is fuel shut off valve for 2001 Cummings Diesel 24 valve?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. There is a fuel activation solenoid on the back of the injector pump but there is no actual fuel shut off please explain to me exactly what you're looking for or trying to accomplish thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dodge won't start; this after radiator was removed, flushed, and re-installed during a hail, rain, lightning storm. When turning the key to the on position, fuel pump runs for approx 1 second, bump the starter and the fuel pump runs approx 15 seconds; but when turned to the off position on the key, fuel pump still runs for approx 15 seconds. Motor will not start, but intermittently will try to run when releasing the key from crank to run position. Have replaced pre-pump, fuel filter, and suspecting the fuel shut off valve or what controls.
That does sound a little bit erratic like possibly you may have a faulty engine ECM. Remove the fuel feedline from the injector pump place it in a container and tell me when you cycle the fuel transfer pump you should run for 25 seconds and produce approximately 45 ounces of fuel at 10 psi tell me if you have a good fuel supply
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see your answer?????
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We replaced the fuel transfer pump with no results.
Is there a good supply of fuel coming from the fuel transfer pump?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
So what we're down to now is possibly a faulty injector pump or faulty fuel injectors, what is the fuel injection rail pressure while cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cracking the injector inlet lines produces no fuel while cranking.
There is a fuel control actuator on the back of the injector pump does that click when you turn the key on and off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Then the ECM is going to have to be replaced to start off with you may have further problems in the system but the trouble code is indicating a communication problem internally and ECM and it is not controlling the actuator.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the ECM and how do I bypass the fuel shut off cylinoid (sp)?
The ECM is located on the left side of the engine block and there is no way to bypass the fuel actuator on the back of the injector pump. You will need to replace the ECM.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't believe it, there has to be a way to disable (not make work) the fuel shut off valve.
It is not an actual stool shut off valve is a fuel actuator in the computer controls the amount of fuel that the injector pump supplies to the injectors this is not just simply an on off situation that's why you need the engine ECM to control it properly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To verify, that the ECM is only way to control the fuel shut off valve, there should be a way to bypass the fuel shut off valve, even though shutting off the engine might be a problem.
I agree with you it would be nice if there was but no there is no way to bypass it manually on your particular injector pump on the earlier ones they had a simple fuel shutoff solenoid that you could easily bypass these cannot be bypassed in the same manner thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can it replaced and if so, where is it?
Yes this ECM is located on the left side of the engine block right behind the fuel injection pump remove the connector from the ECM and check the terminals very carefully sometimes you'll find corroded terminals or broken wires causing the same problem
I really hope that I have succeeded in fulfilling your expectations. If there's any reason at all that you need more help or a better explanation feel free to ask me. Remember I do not get paid until you accept, the even if you may to deposit. The most important thing to me is positive feedback, so please give me the opportunity to correct any problems or to make you completely satisfied. And please remember to leave positive feedback.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Had a mechanic put a test unit on the vehicle, and have since replaced the lift/prepump and cam shaft position sensor to no avail. Have access to another 2001 Dodge Diesel truck; am considering changing out the EMC as recommended by you and possibly the PCM. Do you think it's a good idea?
No you cannot interchange if any of the modules as they are programmed for your specific vehicle and will not work if you switch them from one to the other
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For a price of an ECM at the Dodge dealer, the mechanic said that an ECM that wouldn't work would just cause the "wait to start" light to flash, but would not hurt anything. He is checking for a PCM price and answer to same question.

What kinda problem are you having with the right now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same problem.....won't start....bleeding injectors.... there was no fuel to bleed.....occasionally vehicle will try to start....when key is released to the run position . After bumping starter....the lift pump will run approx 30 seconds....with the key in either the run or off position.
If you give it a short shot of starting fluid while cranking the engine doesn't start in remain running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have tried that against my better judgement, and will barely run on starting fluid but will not pickup, as if there were no fuel present.
Checked the fuel supply coming from the transfer pump if you turn the ignition to the crank position it should pump 45 ounces of fuel in 25 seconds at approximately 10 P si tell me how the transfer pump is performing