Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

2006 Dodge: ram..4x4 slt service 4wd light goes..ignition switch

My 2006 Dodge 1500 ram mega cab 4x4 slt service 4wd light goes on and off intermetatly. it also goes into 4wd without me engaging the switch. i can also hear a noise like a electric selinoid engaging, even when the ignition switch is off. Help!!!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can help.

Has your mechanic checked the 4wd system for fault codes?

Not just the standard engine fault codes, but specifically the 4wd system.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the mechanic says he cant read the code if the service 4wd light isn't on. so i dont know if he has looked specifically at the 4wd fault codes or not. also what type of obdII code reader would i need to read the 4wd fault codes?
Hi Howard,

In order to read these codes you need a shop quality scan tool. The basic obd2 code readers will only read engine fault codes from the engine computer.

These codes will be stored in memory, so the light doesn't have to be on at the time, so maybe your mechanic is not equipped to handle this particular situation? Just a thought, since I have no way of knowing who is lookingat this for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can you give me a educated guess as to what you think might be causing this problem,

maybe a switch, or acuator, or bad ground somewhwere. point me in some direction.

what kind of codes does a scan tool need to read in order to read the 4wd trouble codes? can you recomend a scan tool that i might purchase online or from an auto parts store that would read these codes.

thanks . Howard

Hi Howard.

Although I prefer to deal with some facts before sticking my neck out.......:0)............the fact you can hear a noise when the key is off indicates you might be hearing the shift motor on the transfer case running.

Why do I suspect that........because I have seen this before on some of the trucks.

The shift motor is controlled directly by the TIPM or totally integrated power module. This is the part that houses all the fuses under the hood.

Since there would be no power with the key off, it tends to make me think that the TIPM has an internal failure and is engaging the shift motor on its own. This could also explain why it shifts in 4wd. On its own when you are driving.

So, the codes in the TIPM would be the first thing that I would investigate but I would also like to scan all the modules on the truck to get a full picture of what is occurring, code wise.

A scan tool that is capable of reading all these modules is basically a professional quality tool that starts at about $2K and goes up from there. Snap on and OTC are 2 of the favorites but there are also many others. Unless you plan on investing that sort of money it likely isn't a cost effective way to go about this.

One alternative, if you are trying to repair this yourself, would be to simply have a shop do a full scan for you and get a list of all codes stored, and then we can work together to decipher what is occurring. Depending of the rates in your area, you might may $100 for a scan, so let me know if this is something that would work for you or whether you prefer to handle this yourself without the benefit of getting the codes.

Please reply back before rating, if you need further assistance.

Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist