MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician

1995 Dodge Ram 2500: abs light..brake light..driving down the road

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with the diesel engine. I have 205000 miles on it. Recently I have noticed that the ABS light and the brake light will come on while I am driving down the road. I can be on the highway and have driven 20 miles and suddenly the ABS light and brake light will come on. I have replaced the master cylinder, replaced and turned the front rotors and replaced the front brake pads. I also had the front right bearing go out and replaced it. I checked the rear brake pads and they were good. My question is what is causing the ABS and brake light to come on for no reason?? I am towing a trailer quite often now and I want to make sure the ABS system is working properly.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.

MoparHeat :

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your inquiry. My name is Allen and I will be assisting you. The lights are coming on from a fault in the ABS system. Most likely from your RWAL(Rear Wheel Anti-Lock) Sensor. When it gets warm it's not sending a signal. That would be my first suspect to your issue. It is a sensor that plugs into top of rear axle and counts teeth on the differential.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So how do you fix it? Is there a sensor on both sides of the rear axle? Is there a front axle sensor that does the same thing? How much do these sensors cost and how hard is it to replace them? CanI relace them or does a dealer have to replace them? Are there any special tools needed to replace the sensor?
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
There is only one sensor on rear axle. It just sticks in a hole on top of the center chunk and has a mounting bolt. It can be easily replaced. they run a little over $100 at Napa.