MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 6+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

1995 Dodge Ram 2500: abs light..brake light..driving down the road

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with the diesel engine. I have 205000 miles on it. Recently I have noticed that the ABS light and the brake light will come on while I am driving down the road. I can be on the highway and have driven 20 miles and suddenly the ABS light and brake light will come on. I have replaced the master cylinder, replaced and turned the front rotors and replaced the front brake pads. I also had the front right bearing go out and replaced it. I checked the rear brake pads and they were good. My question is what is causing the ABS and brake light to come on for no reason?? I am towing a trailer quite often now and I want to make sure the ABS system is working properly.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 2 years ago.

MoparHeat :

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your inquiry. My name is Allen and I will be assisting you. The lights are coming on from a fault in the ABS system. Most likely from your RWAL(Rear Wheel Anti-Lock) Sensor. When it gets warm it's not sending a signal. That would be my first suspect to your issue. It is a sensor that plugs into top of rear axle and counts teeth on the differential.

Expert:  MoparHeat replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So how do you fix it? Is there a sensor on both sides of the rear axle? Is there a front axle sensor that does the same thing? How much do these sensors cost and how hard is it to replace them? CanI relace them or does a dealer have to replace them? Are there any special tools needed to replace the sensor?
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 2 years ago.
There is only one sensor on rear axle. It just sticks in a hole on top of the center chunk and has a mounting bolt. It can be easily replaced. they run a little over $100 at Napa.