MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician

2012 RAM Express Regular Cab. 5.7 hemi and six speed tranny...mph

Customer Question

2012 RAM Express Regular Cab. 5.7 Hemi and six speed Tranny. I have a moderate to severe harmonic vibration when traveling in the 20s to 40s MPH range and about 1100 to 1400 RPM. Shop techs tell me its the engine switching to 4 cyls and to stop the vibration I should turn the Tow/Haul switch on. I did that and the vibration did stop. Using that logic I should turn off my radio or air conditioner off if they make strange noises. Is there a fix for this vibration other than turning the engine cylinder switch feature off
Thanks XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Dodge
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.

MoparHeat :

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your inquiry. My name is Allen and I will be assisting you. These trucks do have a vibration when coming in and out of the Multiple Displacement Systems operation. Yes when it goes to four cylinders. This is a common complaint by some customers thinking there is something wrong with the system but it is normal. Think of being in a four cylinder car or truck, don't they have a bit more vibration to them than a 6 or 8 cylinder? When they are new it seems more apparent. With more mileage the feature will still be noticeable at times but not near as apparent once the vehicle fully learns your driving habits.

MoparHeat :

The tow/haul switch overrides the system to keep it from activating and to keep it out of overdrive. Which in turn will reduce your fuel mileage greatly. If you need further information please let me know.\