Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

2002 dodge intrepid: wont start..lights work but wont turn over.

Customer Question

My 2002 dodge intrepid won't start. The lights work but won't turn over. My guy thinks it's the alarm system. Whenever he runs power to the starter the horn honks once. How can he disable the alarm?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 2 years ago.

welcome,

Can you go out and try to start it and tell me if the headlights and dome light dims when trying to start it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have the car here, it's at my boyfriends house. I don't think they did when I tried to start it. At first it would crank but not start. Then it did nothing at all. He now has it back to the point where it will crank again.

Thats ok i have a real good idea whats wrong. I have worked on hundreds of these complaints.

If you click here you will get the full technical readout on this problem, but i can tell you from 35 years in this business its probabably be a door cylinder/switch that is at fault.

There is a little trick that we use;

Try locking and unlocking the passenger door wth the key, sometimes this works but i bet its still the driver door lock switch that is throwing off the secui=rity system...thats what i have always found.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.

Larry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to try this out before I can accept. I have already spent money on a wrong diagnoses and can't afford to spend more. Can I get back to you tomorrow?
Of course you can. Dealing with car repairs can be really frustrating for people.

My whole purpose working online like this is to help people try to understand what's wrong with their vehicle before spending hundreds of dollars trying to fix it.

I sure dont get paid a lot doing it, but i do feel good about being able to help my fellow man for a very reasonable price compared to $100 per hour for any shop to just look at it with no diagnoses.

Keep in mind that your question does not ever dissapear or close and you can always come back and ask any follow up questions you need for no extra charge even after the accept.

Best wishes my friend!

Larry
Virtual Wrench (L J), Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
I will be around all day tomorrow if you have any questions.

Larry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I disconnect and reconnect the battery the horn honks once. it seems more like an anti theft than an alarm problem. I've hot wired the fuel pump an the starter motor to no avail. I tried unlocking the passeenger door. No luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can we totally disable the anti theft system?
Unfortunatly its not possible