Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

2000 Dodge Durango: keyless entry..batteries went dead in..my vehicle

Customer Question

My 2000 Dodge Durango has a keyless entry that the batteries went dead in. I replaced them with the correct type, however now the remote keyless does not function at all. I quit using it and don't lock my vehicle now. The problem is about once a week the security system arms somehow, and then i cannot start the vehicle. Is there any way to disable the security system so the vehicle will start without using the remote keyless?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 2 years ago.

My 2000 Dodge Durango has a keyless entry that the batteries went dead in.

???
Factory Keyless or "Aftermarket" ?

If Aftermarket, post the Brand & Model Number

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a Factory Keyless.

thank you for the added info...........
If you have replaced the battery, you may want to have the Remote Tested to see if it is Transmitting

Many Auto Parts Stores will do this for Free......
If it is Transmitting, stand next to vehicle & press & hold the Lock & Unlock Button together for apprx 10 seconds to reset
Try Transmitter functions

If you want to DisArm the Factory Alarm:
Find the Light GREEN / ORANGE (-) wire located in the Driver kick Panel / Door Boot
Connect a ground - thru a1.5K ohm resistor to the Light GREEN / ORANGE (-) wire

This will DisArm the Factory Alarm
Also, do NOT Lock the Doors with Power Door Lock Switch if you do not want the Factory Alarm to Arm.
Lock Manually

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do i strip some of the colored insulation on the light green/orange wire, attach a ground. ( I assume an alligator clip) then do what? Is there only one light green/orange wire down there?

Do i strip some of the colored insulation on the light green/orange wire, attach a ground. ( I assume an alligator clip) then do what?

??

Please "reread" my answer

I posted:

Yes, you would have to strip insulation back to get to the internal wire

You need a 1.5K Resistor
Connect "one" end of the Resistor to the Light GREEN / ORANGE wire.
Tape up
Connect the other end of the Resistor to a Ground or piece of wire & ground the wire

Is there only one light green/orange wire down there?

yes, that goes into Driver Door boot

If you are not familiar with Electronics or have never done this type procedure, you need to have someone locally that is familiar with Car Electronics complete the procedure

Resistor is available from Radio Shack or Electronics Store

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok! Thanks for the clarification. I found the resistor at Radio Shack, does it matter what size wire i attach to it to ground with? Where do I ground to? Any bare metal would do, right? Does the key need to be in the ignition, or not? Thanks again.

does it matter what size wire i attach to it to ground with?

14 - 16 gauge

Any bare metal would do, right?

no, the metal "must" be part of the Body or frame & be "Grounded"

Does the key need to be in the ignition, or not?

please understand that this is a method to"DisArm" the Factory Alarm when needed.
This is not a "cure all", if there is a problem with the Alarm System or Module

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any suggestions as to where to attach the ground wire to? Dose it instantly disarm the security system when the resistor is hooked up as suggested and the ground wire makes good contact, or is their a procedure after that is done? Thanks.

Any suggestions as to where to attach the ground wire to?

body or frame, right where you found the wire in the Kick Panel

Dose it instantly disarm the security system when the resistor is hooked up as suggested and the ground wire makes good contact, or is their a procedure after that is done?

DisArms as soon as it is connected, then disconnect after DisArm

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I skip using the resistor and just ground the wire? Or does the resistor provide a specific function to the ground wire? Will i be able to manually lock the doors for security in the future if this works, and then be able to unlock the driver door lock with the key without having to repeat the disarming by splicing resistor/ground procedure again?

Can I skip using the resistor and just ground the wire?

NO.......

Or does the resistor provide a specific function to the ground wire?

Yes, as it needs a specific Resistance for the Alarm to DisArm

Will i be able to manually lock the doors for security in the future if this works, and then be able to unlock the driver door lock with the key without having to repeat the disarming by splicing resistor/ground procedure again?

a) this is a "temporary fix", as you originally posted:
Is there any way to disable the security system so the vehicle will start without using the remote keyless?

in which I have answered

b) I have no idea if the Factory Alarm is defective or you are Arming when Locking the Doors

c) The Factory Alarm cannot be removed without a complete rewiring & expense
d) You do not need to remove the Resistor & wire, as it can be used again if you are NOT going to repair or replace the Remote & Factory Alarm

Please understand that the Factory System is a complicated setup & would be best that you have Dealer test the system & replace / program the Remote

apprx 1 hour labor

NO.......

in which I have answered

apprx 1 hour labor

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

I have sent the information you have requested & have answered .
If you have more questions about a different problem or area, it is considered to be "additional" & may have to Relist.

PLEASE click ACCEPT on your page, so that I may get credit for my Answer at this time, thanks.