Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

how to replace the serpentine belt on a 2004 3.7l v6 dodge dakota

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

graphic

• -Install new belt. Route the belt around all pulleys except the idler pulley.
    Rotate the tensioner arm until it contacts it's stop position. Route the belt
    around the idler and slowly let the tensioner rotate into the belt. Make sure
    the belt is seated onto all pulleys.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are no directions and I could see this on the vehicle diagram. Also the water pump is attached to the radiator fan so how do you get the belt over this
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Just shimmey the belt around the fan blades, until it is on the other side of the fan. Click "View Full Image" on the image above to get a pop-up window with a close-up view. The directions are directly below the image above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I rotate the tensioner? do I use a socket wrench and which direction do i turn it and what sixe socket do I need > Is this the only movable part
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes- a socket on the center nut of the tensioner (#6 in image above), and rotate it clockwise. It is a spring-loaded component, and will rotate upon itself. Yes, this is the only movable part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the tensioner is too tight and I can't get it far enuff to put the belt on. Is there any way to relase the ension and then to tighten it again after the belt in correctly in place
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
No. The tensioner is a pre-spring-loaded item. If you are having trouble turning it to it's extreme, use a longer handled tool, to gain more leverage. Leverage = power.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the belt on correctly and then jumped the car but nothing happened. The car didn't start at all. What could it be
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Was there any noises? Clicking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing no noises the lights all came on on the dashboard but nothing else happened.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Could be a starter problem. Could be a problem with the anti-theft (if equipped)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible that the starter went when the belt broke or is it possibly the battery. Although the battery was hooked up to my subaru on a jump
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
The starter and belt are not related. If the belt let go, the alternator was not charging the battery. If the battery is "that far gone", then a jump may not do the trick.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so I should start with replacing the battery? How difficult is it to replace a starter? Is that something that can be done at home easily
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Yes, probably the best place to start is with the battery. The starter is located on the lower, passenger's side of the engine. Best access is from under the vehicle, and the exhaust will need to be temporarily dropped out of the way.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Glad I could help! Have a great day!
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks again Ron Your response definitely gave me the necessary information to fix the belt. Fortunately I was able to attach a longer metal tube to the handle of my ratchet wrench which gave me the leverage to move the tensioner enough to position the belt correctly. I replaced the battery and it worked perfectly. I will be glad to recommend you and would definitely use you again for any addtl problems I have with my Dakota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Excellent! Glad to hear! If you need me in the future, simply type "Ron Z" somewhere in your next question, and I will help if I can!

Have a great day!