Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical Master,Diesel Specialist, Lead Tech/shop foreman
12781541

2008 Dodge Avenger: timing chain and water pump..instuctions..chilton

I need to change the timing chain and water pump on my 2008 Dodge Avenger. I need instuctions on how to do it and Chilton's won't have a book out for another 2 years. Can you help?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
Which engine do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2.4L
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
OK, This is the removal for the timing chain.
1. Remove timing chain cover .

NOTE: The crankshaft timing mark (3) or (5) can be in one of two locations depending on whether the engine is early production (5), late production (3) or assembled with service parts (3). In all cases the keyway (2) will always be in the 9:00 position, in line with the ladder frame mounting surface (1) when the engine is at TDC.
2. Verify that the engine is still set to TDC.graphic

NOTE: If the timing chain plated links can no longer be seen, the timing chain links corresponding to the timing marks must be marked prior to removal if the chain is to be reused.
3. Mark chain link (4) corresponding to crankshaft timing mark (3) or (5).

4. With the engine still set to TDC, verify that the marks on the camshaft sprockets (3) are in line with the cylinder head cover sealing surface (2). If the marks do not line up, the timing chain is not correctly installed.graphic
5. Mark chain link (1) corresponding to camshaft timing mark
6. Remove timing chain tensioner (5) .graphic
7. Remove timing chain (2).
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
Water pump removal...
1. Remove the accessory drive belt.
2. Drain engine coolant
3. Raise vehicle .
4. Remove accessory drive belt splash shield.
5. Remove screws attaching water pump pulley (1). Remove pulley (1).
6. Remove water pump mounting bolts (2).
7. Remove water pump (3).graphic
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
Timing Chain install....
1. Verify that the engine is still set to TDCgraphic
2. Align camshaft timing marks (3) so they are facing each other and in line with the cylinder head cover sealing surface (2).
3. Install timing chain so plated (or marked) links on chain align with timing marks on camshaft sprockets (1).graphic

4. Align timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket (3) or (5) with the plated (or marked) link (4) on the timing chain. Position chain so slack will be on the tensioner side. graphic
NOTE: Keep the slack in the timing chain on the tensioner side.
5. Install the timing chain tensioner (5)
Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position with the key way at the 9 o'clock position.graphic

6. Verify that the camshafts timing marks (3) are in the proper position and in line with the cylinder head cover sealing surface. If the marks do not line up, the timing chain is not correctly installed.graphic
7. Install front timing chain cover.
8. Connect negative battery cable.
9. Operate engine until it reaches normal operating temperature. Check oil and cooling systems for correct fluid levels

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you bleed the cooling system?
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
1. Close radiator drain cock.
2. Open cooling system bleed valve.
3. Attach a 6.35 mm (0.250 in.) inside diameter clear hose that is 120.0 cm (48 in.) long to the bleed valve. Route the hose away from accessory drive belts and radiator fan. Position the other end of hose into a clean collecting container. The hose will prevent coolant from contacting accessory drive belts and other components.
4. Remove cooling system pressure cap and fill cooling system with recommended coolant mixture.
5. Slowly continue filling until a steady stream of coolant flows from attached hose on bleed valve.
6. Close bleed valve and remove hose.
7. Fill coolant to the top of pressure cap neck.
8. Install cooling system pressure cap.
9. Fill coolant recovery container to the MAX mark.
10. Start engine and allow to run until thermostat opens and radiator fans cycle.

NOTE: It may be necessary to add additional coolant to the coolant recovery container after three or four warm-up/cool down cycles to maintain coolant level between the MIN and MAX marks; as additional trapped air is removed from the system.
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
You skip the step of the bleed valve. The 2.4 does not have one.
  1. Close radiator draincock by turning clockwise.
  2. Fill coolant recovery container to mid way between MIN and MIX marks.
  3. Start engine and allow to run until thermostat opens and radiator fans cycle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So not a closed system, ok. One more quick question, do the fuel system have a depressurized valve in order to change fuel filter? If not, ok. If so, where is the valve? Is the fuel filter under the front passenger door, or where exactly?
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
The fuel filter is inside the fuel tank and it is part of the fuel pump module.
The fuel pump module, fuel pump reservoir, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter is serviced as an assembly.
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience: Electrical Master,Diesel Specialist, Lead Tech/shop foreman