-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

2010 dodge: starting problem..hear a click

Customer Question

2010 dodge journey starting problem. When trying to start sometimes, you just hear a click.
Do it several times and eventually it will start. New starter and rdlay did not
Fix the pfoblem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Brad :

Hello welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXX XXX I will be assisting you.

Brad :

May I have the last 8 of your VIN?

Customer : At150042
Customer : Yes
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 1 year ago.
There is a TSB about this problem. You will need to have the TIPM (looks like a fuse box under the hood) flashed. The TIPM controls almost everything on your vehicle from starting to headlights and horn. The flash is a software update to correct multiple attempts needed to start the vehicle. Only a dealer can preform this flash as you have to have a factory scan tool and access to chryslers online database. TSB number 08-061-11. Your local dealer can locate and preform this TSB with this number
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

This is a known issues and I suggest you replace the Range sensor.. Here are the details:

Vehicle
Issue
Intermittent NO CRANK .
Customer may hear one Loud Click like the starter tried to engage for a second.
Vehicle may start after setting for awhile.;If battery ,starter check out ok ,
and all electrial connections in the starter circuit check to be good. If the
WCM ,and TIPM circuits are also good . Check out the Range Sensor
.
System or
Component
Starting Issues;Group 08
- Electrical,Group 18 - Vehicle Performance / Driveability;Starting Vehicle;Yes
- Intermittent
RecommendationIf vehicle has been back
several times for this intermittent No Crank with a one time Loud Click .
Replace the Range Sensor
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 1 year ago.
Prefomed TSB 08-061-11
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the dealer who has been trying to resolve this problem. They said that the TSB you reference here has to do with a problem with the alarm system. They also said that when they referenced the vin that this TSB did not show as relevant to our Journey. I still need to ask about the Range Sensor. Not sure where to go with this with the dealer.

They have had the car in several times but can't duplicate the problem while in the shop. The one time they did duplicate it, they changed the starter and relay. Problem NOT resolved.

Any further ideas welcomed.

Thank you
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The bulletin I posted about the range sensor is pertaining to the clicking and no start.. The range sensor is behind the valvebody pictured here.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

I have repaired 2 of these at dealership.. I understand that your vehicle is difficult to duplicate but I feel sure that if you replace the range sensor it will correct your issue..

The range sensor senses what gear the transmission is in and allows the vehicle to start, if it doesn't see park it will not start..

If you need anymore assistance, feel free to ask

Register Here

Thanks,
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that Range Sensor is bad, will it then start in neutral? I ask because I tried it in neutral as well when the problem occurs and it still would not start? The click is heard each time the key is turned and is not really that loud. I mention this because previously you mentioned that there was one loud click only. I have sometimes turned the key as many as 20 times, hearing the click each time before it would finally start.

Thank you again,
Scott
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
The only way to 100% know that it will fix it is to monitor the range sensor with use of a scantool to see what it says when it won't start.. Understand that with it being an intermittent issue it's going to be difficult to diagnose.. But like I said, I would replace the range sensor..

Register Here

Thanks,
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You guys keep trying to get me to accept your answer. I haven't yet because the problem hasn't been resolved. I thought I didn't have to pay until it was resolved by I guess I was wrong as they took it from my account already.

If the range sensor is bad will it start in Neutral when it won't start in park?

Thank you,
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
If the range sensor is faulty sometimes it will start in neutral but not always.. And customer service has been sent a message for any billing issues that you may have..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I was actually trying to reply to Brad but the link would not work. This has been an agonizing issue. Brad said to replace the range sensor and that would fix the problem. Eventually we got the dealer to do that under warranty. It fixed the problem for 6 weeks and now we are having the exact same issue again. The dealer says they are not even allowed to query tech support , (open a star case) until they observe the problem themselves. It happens randomly and therefore never when at the dealership. It took months the first time because of this. Any ideas?