Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

driving my car..battery light came..it towed to a mechanic..blown fuse

I was driving my car on Sunday when the check battery light came on. Then the engine completely stopped and I wasn't able to start the car again after that. I got it towed to a mechanic, and he found a blown fuse. He tried replacing it twice, but it kept blowing without even turning on the ignition. He thinks there is a major electrical/computer problem with the car and that I should take it to the dealership. Does anyone have any advice/ideas as to what the problem could be/thoughts on how much it might be to repair?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

-

It should just be a short or a bad compnent like the alternator. The dealer will be better equipped to locate the problem. If you really want to avoid the dealer, an auto electric shop can handle that possibly. You could be looking at anything between $200 and $500 in most cases, depending on what the actual problem is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help. Is there anything odd about the current mechanic not being able to fix the problem? I appreciate him telling me he couldn't do it, but it is maybe a sign that he is ill-equipped? Also, is that cost estimate what another mechanic would likely charge or the dealer? I know they are typically much more pricey, so I want to be able to brace myself in case I do end up going with them.

THanks again!
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
It may be that he is no equipped or that he is just not good with electrical problems, which is not unusual. That price is for the dealer or a private shop, it will most likely fall in that range for either but expect it to be on the higher side with the dealer. And remember that is just an estimate based on my experience.
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth