sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2004 ram 1500: 4.7l obdii..erratic idle rpm , is this the map sensor

Customer Question

2004 ram 1500 4.7l obdII codes p0562 and p0068 hard shifting, erratic idle rpm , is this the map sensor and if so where is it located, thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

.

P0562 sets when the battery voltage falls too low. This one should be negligible and not related to your problem. It could have set from a bad battery, if you let the battery run low listening the radio, interior lights on, etc.

.

P0068 sets when the MAP sensor signal doesn't agree with the throttle position sensor (TPS) signal. With your erratic shifting, erratic idle and this code all set together that tells us that your TPS signal is erratic and causing all of these. When the sensor gets worn it will start to create voltage fluctuations in it's signal. These fluctuations will cause the idle to be erratic as the voltage increases, the trans can't shift correctly if the controller doesn't know the correct throttle angle, and if the signal goes far enough out of range then it will set the P0068.

.

I would recommend replacing the TPS. It's mounted to the left side of the throttle body with two Torx screws and is easy to replace.