Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

parking brake cable , need to know how to release it and exchange it

i broke the parking brake cable , need to know how to release it and exchange it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,

Here are directions to replace the broken cable:

FRONT PARK BRAKE CABLE

REMOVE

1. Raise vehicle on jackstands or centered on a hoist. See Hoisting in the Lubrication and Maintenance group of this service manual.
  2. Manually lockout the automatic self adjusting mechanism of the park brake pedal assembly. Refer to Manual Lockout Of Auto Adjuster Mechanism in this section of the service manual for the required procedure.
  3. Remove the intermediate and left rear park brake cable from the park brake cable equalizer graphic
  4. Remove the front park cable housing retainer from body outrigger bracket .. Cable is removable by sliding a 14 mm box wrench over cable retainer and compressing the three retaining fingers. Alternate method is to use an aircraft type hose clamp and screwdriver. graphic
  5. Lower vehicle.
  6. Remove the left front door sill molding.
  7. Remove the left front kick panel for access to the park brake cable and park brake pedal assembly.
  8. Lift floor mat for access to park brake cable and floor pan. Pull the seal and the park brake cable out of the floor pan of vehicle. graphic
  9. Pull park brake cable strand end forward and disconnect button from clevis. Tap cable housing end fitting out of pedal assembly bracket.
  10. Remove cable retainer from the park brake pedal assembly bracket.
  11. Pull park brake cable assembly out of vehicle through hole in floor pan.

INSTALL

1. Pass park brake cable assembly through hole in floor pan from the inside of the vehicle.
  2. Pass cable strand button through the hole in the pedal assembly bracket.
  3. Install cable retainer onto the park brake cable and then install cable retainer into pedal assembly bracket.
  4. Install the end of the park brake cable into the retainer previously installed into the park brake pedal bracket.
  5. Install cable strand button into the clevis on the park brake pedal mechanism.
  6. Install the front park brake cable floor pan seal into hole in floor pan. Seal is to be installed so the flange on the seal is flush with the floor pan Fold carpeting back down on floor.
  7. Raise vehicle.
  8. Insert brake cable and housing into body outrigger bracket making certain that housing retainer fingers lock the housing firmly into place
  9. Assemble the park brake cables onto the park brake cable equalizer
  10. Lower vehicle and apply the park brake pedal 1 time, this will seat the park brake

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good answer ,but i want to disengage the parking parking brake first to go buy the cable
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Just noticed I posted wrong first diagram.

here is correct one:

graphic
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

which parking brake cable - right rear, left rear, intermediate(connects rear cables to front cable), or the front parking brake cable?