Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40+ years all makes&modles

Hi I have a p0440 code in my dodge 2003 1500.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don Knight replied 4 years ago.

Don Knight :

Good morning.The code you have is for a system failure of the evap system.You will need a scan tool to see just what is not working.There are several components that can cause this problem,the most common is the leak detection pump but with out a scan tool to see just what is not working you will end up just throwing parts on your truck till you get the correct one.I would have a shop do the diognostics for you so you will know what is causing your problem.Please let me know if you need more assistance,Don

I have a scan tool that has a screen with different settings, can you tell me what to look for on my scan tool so that I could tell what is the problem.

Don Knight :

You need a level three scan tool to force the solenoids and NVLD to switch.You will also need a smoke tester to run all the manufactures test.That is why I suggested that you have the system checked by a shop that has all the equipment to check the whole system for your problem.