Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

driving down..engine started..it dies and wouldnt start back

I have an 01 2500 cummins HO 6 speed. was driving down the road and engine started missing real bad. pulled over shut truck off started it back, and it dies and wouldnt start back. i had a mechanic check it out. he said the injection pump was bad. so i ordered one on line and had him change it. the truck started and ran fine for about five miles. then the engine light came on. The throttle started acting very erratic, i stopped and shut the truck off again. started it back and the throttle just had a mind of its own. i would pat the fuel pedal and it would react ten or fifteen seconds later, then hold wide open. so we ssent the pump back to the company thinking they sent us a shotty pump. put new pump on truck and it still has the same problem. So the guy hooks up a scan tool to it and i dont remember what all codes it thru but he said everything that ran off 5 volts was getting too high of voltage. he recommended i change the ecm. I just want to be sure thats what it is before i buy something like that, and it not be the problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can help.

Can you please post the 4 digit fault code numbers. If you don't have them, can you find out because that will give me the info I need to provide an accurate answer for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am currently not near the truck and i actually dont remember all the codes. i know for sure one was 1693 an d another was a tps code. but there was a bunch of codes. my buddy has an 02 model truck with same engine and tranny as mine so we pulled his tps off his and put on mine. didnt work either. We also removed an edge juice wit attitude programmer when we installed the first pump. dont know if that will help you or not.
I would really need to know the 4 digit fault code numbers in order to try and help you decide whether to replace the ECM or not.

If you like, you can bookmark this page and reply back when you have that info?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok ill do that and get back with you tomorrow.
Sounds good...........talk then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay so the codes go as follows PCU 0122, 0462, 1693, done. ECU 0121, 0563, 0118, 0113, 0606, 1475, 0343, 1286, done. I checked these three times to make sure it was consistently spitting out the same codes. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Thank you!

That is quite a list of codes. There is one however, that stands out in particular, and that is your P0606.

P0606-ECM FAILURE

POSSIBLE CAUSES
ECM

There is only one known cause for this particular code to set, and that is an internal ECM failure.

In light of this fact, I would not trust or believe(necessarily) any of the other codes right now. The remaing codes may be setting due to the internal ECM issue, so you will need to replace the ECM first and then see if any of the other codes return or not.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would there be any way that loose ground connections would cause this problem? Or will that code not pop unless the ecm has failed? Thanks a ton for the expert advise. I really appreciate it.
This code is for an internal failure of the ECM..........period. Loose ground connections, or any other issues, will not cause this code to set, so unfortunately it means a new ECM is going to be required.

Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist