Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner
22989858

2009 dodge: abs, bas, and esp light..light come..dealership

Customer Question

i have a 2009 dodge journey, after start up and driving the abs, bas, and esp light come on and go off intermintently. I have seen multiple things on internet about other dodge products, but not specifically the journey. My question is, what can I do myself to fix this before taking to dealership. I have heard of disconnecting battery cables, checking alignment(for steering angle), cleaning and checking connectors on abs sensors. The cruise will not work while lights are on and once in awhile i can feel the brake pedal act like abs is try to work. my journey is sxt model, front wheel drive with v6.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can help.

The most likely cause of all 3 lights coming on, will be a faulty wheel speed sensor for the abs system. When a sensor goes bad it will cause a fault code to be stored that will identify which sensor is causing the trouble........your Journey will have one at each wheel.

So, in reality, the first step should be to have the abs module scanned for fault codes so that the problem area can be identified via the fault code. This will also explain why the cruise does not want to work at the same time.

Without knowing what the fault code(s) is, the only options available to you will be the ones you have found already. If you would prefer to repair this yourself, you can always just have it scanned for codes and pay the diagnostic fee for this service and then come home and do the repair yourself, or you can invest alot of time, checking and cleaning all the sensor connectors, and having the alignment checked etc etc, all without knowing whether the problem will be cured or not.

Not knowing how you would like to proceed, please let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
i cant scan the abs codes myself or with a tool from the auto parts store. I asked for options i could do myself. all he did was verify what I already knew and explained.
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Start by going too the wheel speed sensor one on each wheel disconnect the connectors spray some contact cleaner on and reconnect them possibly you have a faulty connection also inspect the wires very carefully see if they are damaged in any manner. Let me know what you find and we will test further from their thank you