Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

my abs and parking brake light stay..brake fluid..hydraulic..reservoir

Customer Question

My ABS and parking brake light stay on. I checked the manual and it said 1 of 2 things could be wrong: low brake fluid, or an issue with the hydraulic brake system. I checked the brake reservoir and it was very low, so I added some. But still the lights stay one.
The next day, I noticed my speedometer wasn't working until I hit 15 miles per hour. The needle drops when I slow down to 15 and below as well. Are these issues connected?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, first, toss the owner's manual when it comes to Airbag, Check Engine and ABS lights. They only tell you 1 or 2 of hundreds of possible causes. And in doing so, only lead to further owner frustration when they find out otherwise.

Ok, while it is true that low brake fluid can cause both lights to come on, there are also dozens of ABS faults - wheel speed sensor(3), wheel speed sensor reluctor/tone ring, short in their respective wiring harnesses, abs control module, abs hydraulic unit...

Now, the most common reason for these 2 warning lights coming on in conjunction with malfunctioning speedometer is the speed sensor located atop the rear differential

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Sensor costs $25 and takes 15 minutes to replace and just need a 10mm socket.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this a job I can do by simply jacking up my car a little? Or would I need to take it in to put it on blocks?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Honestly, you can do it without jacking it up at all. crawl underneath in front of either rear tire to the rear differential and you will see the sensor atop the differential pumpkin as shown in diagram. I have gone to people's houses and done them in the driveway in about 15 minutes. Use a 10mm deepwell socket and ratchet.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button and/or smiley face to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.