Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

96 Dodge Ram 1500: 000 miles..wont start..coil..fuel pump module

96 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L v/8 279,000 miles 512 miles on engine.Dies and wont restart: after setting over night it starts right up, runs and idles fine for 6 minutes (I timed it twice) then just dies and wont start, has no power to fuel and no fire from coil. if it sets for a bit it will restart, and appears to run longer the longer it sets. I have changed the fuel pump module, 50# XXXXX# XXXXX fuel rail, does slowly leak down after pump is off. Tested Pump relay and ASD relay,they test good. Also after it dies and wont start, relays click and warning lights on dash flash with clicks almost a chattering, when key is turned on. no check engine light.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can help.

The clicking, chattering and lack of a check engine light typically point toward a faulty PCM.

Something like a shorted crank sensor can create the same situation since it will cause the PCM to shut down, so check your wiring to the sensor to make sure it isn't shorted/pinched anywhere.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I looked at the leads going down to the crank sensor with my scope, because it was suspect since i had the engine out 500 miles ago (I rebuilt engine) I will thoroughly check those leads, any ideas on a good way to test/check them, if they test/check out ok then am I right that your saying change the ECM ?