Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2004 dodge ram 3500: to keep burning out

what would cause my 2004 dodge ram 3500 clutch fan 10 amp fuse to keep burning out?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

either the fan clutch is drawing too much amperage or there is a direct short in the wiring harness.

The fan clutch needs to be checked with an ammeter and replaced if required. If ok, then the wiring harness has to be physically checked for breaks/cuts/chafing in the wiring and repaired as required.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does ytour answer refer to the ac fan clutch?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

fuse #35?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ac clutch fuse#16 Sorry.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, bit different, but same applies with one addition - either a direct short in the wiring or the ac compressor clutch coil drawing too much amperage, or bad AC compressor relay. The relay is in the engine compartment fuse/relay box. swap out relays with another and see if fuse still blows. If not, replace relay. If it does, then compressor clutch is tested with an ammeter for current draw and replaced if required. If ok, then wiring is traced for direct short

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Swapping relay didn't help. I had replaced the fuse and it worked for a week.Now it burns Immediatly.Does that help to pinpoint the ac clutch and if so what might that cost to replace.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

That does mean it is drawing way too much amperage. It should run around $500 parts and labor to replace the clutch coil assembly. Alot of shops will try to convince you to replace the whole compressor, but that is not necessary. Just the clutch assembly for it.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.