Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

liter..cylinder..s a fuel system / fuel pressure problem

Need to chat with someone with a lot of knowledge about a Sprinter van
2004 2.7 liter 5 cylinder Diesel.
It's a fuel system / fuel pressure problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

What is the problem that you are having? No start? Loss of power???

Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Initial problem
Lost power / limp mode with engine light on
I bought a Scan Guage II so I could get codes
Codes: P0087 & P-0193
would run for about 2 miles / very slow / then shut down usually as it shifted
had it towed to my home shop
replaced high pressure fuel pump /sensor and valve / removed and cleaned all of the injectors
the only way I can get it to start is if I disconnect the fuel pressure sensor and the it takes about 20 to 30 revolutions to start.
I then reconnect the sensor plug and it runs very normal after I clear the codes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
too long to reply
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
anybody out there working on this
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Sorry for the delay.... It sounds to me like you may have one or more injectors returning too much fuel, This can cause the no start problem as you describe, Let me round up the test procedure for the injector return flow test. Your patience is greatly appreciated while I research this for you. I will be away from computer for a bit. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.....Wink

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why does it run fine after starting it by disconnecting the pressure sensor?
I did replace one injector, because I compromised it's integrety when I took it apart to see how it worked trying to gain more knowledge. There are codes associated with the injectors and I never received any injector codes. Injectors are about $500 each.
Do you have hands experience with this Mercedes 2.7 L Diesel engine?
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I have Hands on experience with the 2.7l Mercedes engine. I have worked on sprinters since 2003. We normally don't see injector failures on the 04's mainly the 03's but it can happen. When there's a no start due to excessive return flow, sometimes the codes that are stored do not directly point out individual injectors. Also, the codes that are retreived with your ScanGuage are "generic" codes, and are not "Manufacturer Specific", because of that it is a bit harder to diagnose a Sprinter if you don't have a DRBIII. Here is a code list of possible "Manufacturer Specific" codes...Click here to view... Notice those 2 codes you posted are not listed.....

anyway, I promised the procedure for doing an injector return flow test....Click here to view...

If you don't have access to the special tool, you can make some up using plastic hose that fits tightly over the injector return ports, make up the hoses to look similar to the inside graduated tubes of the special tool, if any injector fails the test, replace it... you may find one or more bad injectors, so test them all, even the new one so that you can tell what is normal and what is not....

The reason it runs after disconnecting the pressure sensor is because when the ecm doesn't see a signal from the sensor, it sets the injection pump to max output while cranking. You may notice the engine is louder when the sensor is disconnected.... Another thing, if yo use a small shot of ether, it also makes it start easier and you won't have to disconnect the pressure sensor.