Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Dodge technician
17254274

2006 dodge cummins died and wont start

Customer Question

2006 dodge cummins died and wont start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Are you getting a check engine light or any codes?

Does it turn over? Or does it just not start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am getting a check engine light flashing repeatedly and their is a clicking coming from thing on back of cp3 and the fuel pump in tank is coming on and off. All together going off and on every couple of seconds. I am not getting any codes coming up from the key trick.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Does the engine turn over?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. The engine turns over fine.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Is it the fuel control actuator making the clicking noise?

Have you tried a small shot of ether to see if it will try and fire?

Can you get a code reader?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I havent tried ether yet but I can. Also I tried hooking a scanner from orielly's to it and it said cant connect.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
If you do the ether just try a small amount. If the check engine light is flashing and a scanner cannot connect, you likely have a problem with the ecm unfortunately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ether did make it bump around a little but everything else is the same.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

If the ecm is bad and not allowing proper fuel delivery as indicated by the fuel control actuator apparently acting up.

You will need to get a diagnostic to determine for sure as there is not much else we can do this way without more diagnostic information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Ive dont my research and learned nothing new from this.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Hi I am Daniel, I work on ecm issues all the time. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes..I am getting an intermittent signal going to the in tank fuel pump along with check engine light flashing fast and cp3 pump clicking...all together
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

And no communication at ecm? The ecm gets several supplies to it and has sevral grounds and I believe the your power or ground to ecm is bad. you would test this with a volt meter. check all the power to all the grounds. start with the first power and do all grounds and write down voltage. then next power. This will tell you if one power is bad to all ground or if one ground is bad to all powers. If you are going to do your own work Get a good service manual with wiring diagrams and connection id so you can know where to test. and put pins. If all the power is good then you can replace the ecm, But not until you have checked power and grounds to it. I just replaced a power wire to ecm the other day which would not let the ecm communicate. a simple wire connector and shrink rap and it was fixed for 35 cents in parts . I have had to replace many ecm's also but never untill all wires to power and grounds were tested.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

Thanks Daniel

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How many power wires are their and do the come from the tipm. Do I have to get a service manual to get a pinout or can you tell me which ones?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
click here for first connection two more coming. you will see 5 volt supply and ground and those are the pins you test unplugged with ignition on.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

click here and click here and alot of them do come from the totally integrated power module.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pins 4 and 5 i got nothing. im on the front plug.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Here is instructions to test power and grounds. Its not as detailed as I want it to be but its a start.

CHECKING THE ECM POWER AND GROUNDS

POSSIBLE CAUSES

ECM Ground circuit(s) open
Fused B+ circuit open
Fused ignition switch output circuit open
DIAGNOSTIC TEST

1.ECM GROUND CIRCUIT(S) OPEN
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the ECM harness connectors.
Using a 12-volt test light connected to 12-volts , check each of the ECM ground circuits in ECM harness connector.

Q: Did the test light illuminate for each cavity?

YES: Go To 2
NO: Repair the ECM Ground circuit(s) for an open. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures\Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

2.FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the ECM harness connectors.
Turn the ignition on.
Using a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check the Fused Ignition Switch Output circuit in ECM harness connector.

Q: Is the test light on?

YES: Go To 3
NO: Repair the Fused Ignition Switch Output circuit for an open. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures\Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

3.FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the ECM harness connectors.
Using a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check each Fused B+ circuit in the ECM harness connector.

Q: Does the test light illuminate brightly for each circuit?

YES: Test Complete. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures\Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1
NO: Repair the Fused B+ Output circuit for an open. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures\Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

You will be able to id this with the connection Id I gave you.. I have to check on my site to how to locate the rest of the power and ground sources besides the ones shown on connection Id . tomarrow morning I will have that.

Thanks Dan. the testing you did was on Connection 1/C1? c can bus +- correct?

Or......?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I checked all the grounds and I am missing all on the front connector and 24,45 on the rear coupler. The fused ign switch is good and the b+ circuits as well. Seems like a lot of grounds so maybe a common grounding spot for all??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While I was waiting on you I got to snooping around and I checked the ground coming from harness above ecm to battery and bolts to stud and it wasnt making connection between stud and lead. Before I just loosened nut wiggled around and retightened the nut not the stud(note to self). Checked it and it fired right up no problem. I do however have a check engijne light on constant and I have a code reader and it wont connect to it. Its the base model I think but do I have to have a special kind to connect and reset this?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
What you can get for free autozone and get a code reader there. They will scan yourcodes For free. What happens when you mate ground all the other ground make connection. Unhook your battery Then hook it up again This my reset it. You have learned a lot about testing. You only missed tracing the wires. but snooping is good. Let me know. I will be off work at 830. Im on droide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unhooked batteries and recconected 10min later and all codes reset. Thank you for all your help. I appreciate all you extra effort to help me get it on the road again.You are just what I was after when I came to this site.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Good deal I hope you dont mind me using this question as an example. Clicking on accept release a portion of the payment you have already depostied with Just Answer.

You can follow up if you have any troubles after accept. I do it for all my customers.

Thanks Daniel

Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience: Dodge technician