Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

2004 Dodge grand caravan: When I turn the key it makes clicking sound.

We have a 2004 Dodge grand caravan XST. THE PROBLEM is The vehicle does not start. When I turn the key it makes clicking sound.

Two weeks ago we replaced the alternator. Battery appears to be good since power doors and radio function normally. We just replaced the battery inside the key. Please let us know what could be the issue.

Thanks.

Latha
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

When you say it makes a click noise, is this a 1-click per ignition cycle, or a rapid clicking?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1 click per ignition cycle
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Ok. The 1-click per ignition cycle is the classic, tell-tale sign of a faulty Starter Solenoid. On this vehicle, the solenoid is mounted to the side of the starter, and is usually replaced as a unit (the new starter comes with a new solenoid). Make sure the electrical connections at the solenoid are tight, and there are no loose or broken wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the starter will solve the problem. The starter is located under the vehicle, front.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.
However, I could not locate the solenoid to do visual inspection of electical connections as suggested.
Could you help me to locate it?
Also, what would be a typical cost to replace the starter unit?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

The starter is located under the vehicle, front. Best access is from under the front of the vehicle, working upwards. Click "view full image" on the images above and below to get a pop-up window with a close-up view of the location. The starter sells for around $270 and the labor time guide calls for a little over an hour to complete the job.

graphic