Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

2000 dodge neon, anti theft light is on and car will not start.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Do you have the second key for the car? Have you tried it yet?

Have you been having any other problems with the car or the battery?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
never had any other problems, only got one key when i bought the car. no battery problems, lights cd player etc, everything comes on. the instrument cluster acts strange when i first put the key in i.e rmp jumps a little gas, airbag lights come on
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there anway to reset the alarm, taking negative cable off?
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

Just to rule it out I would pull the battery and take it to the parts sotre to be load tested, It could be the problem and might explain why the cluster is acting up.

If the battery checks out and the alarm still activates after having the battery disconnected, you only real option will be the dealer for a diagnostic to determine what component is creating the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

theres no way i can get to a parts store im pretty far away from home without another option of transportation, if i were pull the batter how long should it stay disconected for the system to shut down, or what would be a safe timne frame before re installing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there a fuse that controls the theft device also?
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
You can try disconnecting it for 10 minutes. There is no fuse or other way to deactivate the theft system as it is designed to be tamper resistant.