Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner
22989858

1998 dodge dakota: v8..spark plugs the distributor cap..2 on the rpms

I have a 1998 dodge dakota v8 magnum and have changed out four of the spark plugs the distributor cap the rotor button and the wires but for some reason it is still not getting over 2 on the rpms what could be causing this problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. There are number of things that can cause this problem possibly a clogged catalytic converter or even a lack of fuel pressure from a faulty fuel pump, tell me what your fuel pressure reading is when you try to accelerate and also tell me what your intake manifold vacuum reading is using a Manual vacuum gauge. Let me know what you find and we will do some further testing if necessary I'll be with you as long as it takes to solve your problem so please reply back to me right here. Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dont have a gague testor and am limited on tools but was told by previous owner that fuel pump was just replaced, but someone told me maybe a sensor by flywheel
It's not likely that it's a faulty sensor but it could be. If you remove the oxygen sensors from the exhaust system see if you have better power with the sensors removed this would indicate a clogged catalytic converter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would it be best to take the sensor off that is behind the catilac converter or to just take catilac converter off and hollow it out
Well it's easier to remove the sensors for testing purposes it will take much longer to remove the catalytic converter And you'll need to have a good catalytic converter on this or otherwise The check engine light will be on and you will not pass any emissions inspections
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tapped on the catilac converter and it sounds like a big chunk of something the the front center and what would be the easiest way to remove the sensor all i have is a cresent rench
If the converter is broken internally then Replace the catalytic converter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well not sure still cant get sensor off to try it. whats the easiest way to remove it?
There's more than one sensor , either use a wrench or slide a socket over the top of the sensor which is actually made to remove oxygen sensors there are special wrenches
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience: 30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner