Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

1976 dodge: sportsman rv..wont start, no clicking or anything

I have a 1976 dodge sportsman rv 318. I have replaced the battery cables and the silanoid. But yet it still won't start, no clicking or anything. I checked the power to the starter. There is power on the bigger of the two wires but not the smaller one. Any suggestions on my next step??? Angi
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

When everything is correct there should be power at the small post when the key is turned to start. Is that when you are testing it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is when I am testing it. But nothing.
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay

It is likely going to be you ignition switch, you should start checking for breaks in the small wire going to the starter and work back to the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So just to be sure the ignition switch is the little box with the two wires connected in to it coming from the starter then to the silinoid??? This is my first time working on an older vehicle
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
The ignition switch is actually the switch activated by the ignition key, so it is right there with the ignition lock cylinder.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You I hope it works