Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Dodge technician
17254274

1998 Dodge Caravan: diagram of the valve body assembly..?Thanks

I need a diagram of the valve body assembly for a 1998 Dodge Caravan. Can anyone help?

Thanks...

Daniel :

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Daniel :

Hi I am Daniel

Daniel :

what size engine do you have?

Customer:

2.4 l

Daniel :

Ok thanks

Customer:

The valve body was removed to replace to the tcc cylanoid. Upon re-installation...the van no longer will go into 2nd or 3rd gear. Any suggestions?

Daniel :

was everything completely cleaned when put back in meaning no contamination was tranfered.?

Customer:

we're pretty sure...we think the valves were re-installed wrong.

Daniel :

Ok I will give you info let me up load it for you.

Customer:

do you think that is the problem? we had 2nd and 3rd gear before the valve body was removed. This van also does not have a shift cylandor/modulator.

Daniel :

possible

Customer:

is there anything else it could be? it shifted fine before this

Daniel :

If the solenoid was weak it may have just been time.

Daniel :

I wont be much longer and we can get more into it.

Customer:

any suggestions on repairs?

Daniel :

Im sorry I am not very cordinated and will have to get repair info to you first lol

Daniel :

VALVE BODY

Allow all parts to soak a few minutes in a suitable clean solvent. Wash thoroughly and blow dry with compressed air. Make sure all passages are clean and free from obstructions.

Inspect manual and throttle valve operating levers and shafts for being bent, worn or loose. If a lever is loose on its shaft, it should be replaced. Do not attempt to straighten bent levers.

Inspect all mating surfaces for burrs, nicks and scratches. Minor blemishes may be removed with crocus cloth, using only a very light pressure. Using a straightedge, inspect all mating surfaces for warpage or distortion. Slight distortion may be corrected, using a surface plate. Make sure all metering holes in steel plate are open. Using a pen light, inspect bores in valve body for scores, scratches, pits and irregularities.

Inspect all valve springs for distortion and collapsed coils. Inspect all valves and plugs for burrs, nicks, and scores. Small nicks and scores may be removed with crocus cloth, providing extreme care is taken not to round off sharp edges. The sharpness of these edges is vitally important. It prevents foreign matter from lodging between valve and valve body. This reduces the possibility of sticking. Inspect all valves and plugs for freedom of operation in valve body bores.

When bores, valves, and plugs are clean and dry, the valves and plugs should fall freely in the bores. The valve body bores do not change its dimensions with use. Therefore, a valve body that was functioning properly when vehicle was new, will operate correctly if it is properly and thoroughly cleaned. There is no need to replace valve body unless it is damaged in handling.

Daniel :

click here

Daniel :

I know that was something else lol I got side racked lol

Customer:

do u have a parts diagram for us to see how the valves sit in the valve body with the springs, etc.? Friend mechanic did not pay attention when removing and now boyfriend is trying to fix

Customer:

He says it looks like they may have the valves in backwards...would that cause this problem?

Daniel :

Yes

Daniel :

If you need anything else I can send it to you no problem

Customer:

boyfriend says it looks like the valve that has the 2 springs...they may be missing one of those springs

Customer:

do you a more detailed schematic of the valve assembly

Daniel :

here comes three ok

Daniel :

click here

Customer:

John said once our friend replaced it...it wouldn't go into 3rd gear. So...they took it back apart today and put it back together and now he doesn't have 2nd or 3rd. All gears worked perfectly before...only check engine light was on

Daniel :

click here

Daniel :

make sure the 2nd and thrid shift valve is clean and put in right. click on all the blue hyper links I have sent.

Daniel :

That code the check engine light came on for may help you also auto zone scans them for free. make sure there where no wires pinched and connections dirty or hurt during repair. I have seen a speed sensor wire reap havic on a tranny as it was pinched.

Daniel :

Please let me knwo if you need anything else at all even after accept. I will send a follow up to you checking on you in a couple of days

Customer:

He says he thinks it may be the valves behind the torque converter clutch selonoid

Daniel :

Tell him this is all a learning experience and after he gets it back together he wil lhave gained alot of knowledge for other repair he will come to down the road

Daniel :

He is not far from being able to rebuild his own transmissions

Customer:

could it be those valves? He is a former marine and kept helicopters running and in the air (crew chief on a Super Stallion)...so he has mechanical ability...but just learning cars...lol

Daniel :

yes check those valves he mentioned and I mentioned.

Customer:

so having the springs and valves in wrong could cause us not to have 2nd and 3rd gears?

Customer:

sounds good...he said all he needed was some guidance and diagrams. We appreciate all your help...

Daniel :

some times worse. and the 2nd and 3rd gear valve ist self.

Daniel :

You are very welcome.

Customer:

he said they never even opened that side

Customer:

it was on the torque converter thingy side

Daniel :

ok good I would makesure its clean though.

Customer:

he said he uses crc brake clean non-chlorinated

Customer:

and ultra black rtv

Daniel :

as long as it doesnt hit gaskets or plastic

Daniel :

it can melt them.

Customer:

he said "exactly"

Customer:

lol

Daniel :

great minds think alike

Daniel :

lol

Customer:

yes they do...you do have my email to check in on us...right?

Daniel :

Yes It should go right to your emial

Customer:

can I ask what makes you an expert? just curious....

Daniel :

email

Customer:

we really appreciate it!!

Daniel :

I pay alot for my site but its worth it.

Customer:

he said a $200 tcc selonoid replacement has cost him 12 hours of frustration and fluid, filters, etc...lol

Customer:

what site?

Daniel :

But he is getting fast er every time he take sit out

Customer:

like lighting he says...lol

Daniel :

its online manual of every dodge from 1982 to now with every diagram repair testing and anything.

Customer:

and all to have the "mechanic" stand there with his arms crossed not knowing what was wrong

Daniel :

from brakes to electrical pcm and tcm 4x4 and more

Daniel :

Scratching his head huh

Customer:

nice...he would be in heaven

Daniel :

hhmmmmm hhhhmmmmmmm

Daniel :

lol

Customer:

yeah...John was too happy with the "mechanic"

Daniel :

Book mark my profile and i will help you with anything you need later on

Customer:

oops..not happy

Daniel :

I knew what you meant

Customer:

how do i do that? we actually own 2 caravans. mine's a 2000

Daniel :

book mark it or add to favorites when viewing it

Customer:

just bookmark it in my browser?

Daniel :

sure

Customer:

sounds good...thanks again!!!

Daniel :

Your very welcome

Hey John and Narator. How is the van running? Can I help out with anything else? If you have anyquestions about the valve body dont hisitate to shoot. And no added Accept is needed.

Thanks Daniel