-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge RAM 2500: How do I replace the seatbelt mechanism for

How do I replace the seatbelt mechanism for my 1998 Dodge Ram 2500?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you..

Customer:

Is it possible that it is just a burnt out fuse?

Brad :

No, this isn't a eletrical issue.. The 2 wires that go to the seatbelt is for the seatbelt light.. Your seatbelt latch is faulty.. There is no electrical part that will cause it not to unlatch..

Brad :

I don't know why they failed at the same time... But you may try and pressing the release with a screwdriver to see if it releases.. But in order to correctly repair it you will need to replace both seatbelt recievers

Customer:

Where will I find the release button?

Brad :

Its the button you press to unlatch the seatbelt...

Customer:

let me try

Brad :

Ok

Customer:

where it is stuck is at the seat back...the belt wont come out

Brad :

I understand.. I'm sorry I thought it was stuck in the reciever.. Just a sec while I look that up for you..

Customer:

I have to pick up son from school...be back in 30. if you have any schematics of the high back seat with details on how to get the belt roll up part out that would be helpful...also, do I have to replace the whole thing?

Brad :

This could be electrical.. I'm getting the wiring now..

Brad :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]br808037[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Brad :

Can you check fuse 16 on the inside fuse panel?

Customer:

where do i find the fuse?

Customer:

where do I find the fuse to check it?

Brad :

I'm sorry..I don't see where you replied

Brad :

Its in the driver door jam on side of dash...

Brad :

Pull open cover, find fuse 16

Customer:

Fuse 16 is ok, not blown

Brad :

Is your airbag light on?

Customer:

no

Brad :

Can you also check fuse 12

Customer:

12 has an extra casing on it...can't get it all the way out....is there a trick?

Brad :

Press in both sides and pull out.. If you pull it out and the inside lights shut off.. Push it back in because it's good...

Customer:

It's good

Customer:

The truck is supposed to be off..right?

Brad :

Do you mean key off? It doesnt matter if key is on or off to check fuses...

Customer:

yes i meant key

Customer:

One thing i noticed...the seatbelt warning light does work to tell me that i need to put my seatbelt on

Customer:

I was looking at the graph...where would i find the seatbelt control module?

Brad :

Ok, good that means it has voltage.. Can you look under the seat and find the black box to see if its plugged in?

Customer:

yes everything is plugged in

Brad :

May I have the last 8 of your VIN? I want to double check the wiring.. Thanks, Brad

Customer:

wg174122

Brad :

Thanks!

Brad :

Here is a case from Dodge on your issue:

Case Number912085109
Vehicle IssueThe seatbelt light comes on; the seatbelts may lock up. There is a code in the AECM for a " SCTM failure". 1998-1998 BR/BE.;This is not to be confused with a seatbelt light that comes on and there is NO codes in the airbag (aecm) module, if so then this case does not apply. Usually the code and lamp is extremely intermittent. This case applies to 1998 & 1999 BE truck only.
System or ComponentActivates / Operates by Itself / Ghost Cycle,Flickers / Flashing,Will Not Turn Off;Customer Concern (No DTCs),DTC / Error Message;SCTM,Seat Belt Reminder Light,Electronically Controlled / Motorized Seatbelts,Seat Belt / Shoulder Belt;Interior;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously,No - Condition Never Duplicated
RecommendationCheck pins 4-5 (+), pins 6-13 ground, pin 11 (g111). The code will set if the g111 does not have between 1-3 volts. Also be sure the solenoids will lock up and are plugged up. Check the C360 and c203 connector. See page 83 of the 1998 green body book, it has some good diagnostics as well a good circuit description. If the SCTM is lost the AECM will turn on the light. Also make sure the solenoids work properly, if unplugged the seat belt light will come on. Check the wiring in the left kick panel and left side of column area. Check c360 and c200 connectors.
Modification Date
08/13/03 10:25 AM

Brad :

Do you have a Ohm-Meter?

Customer:

no

Brad :

I understand...

Brad :

This is an electrical issue that is causing the seatbelts not to release.. In order to find the problem, we are going to need to Ohm and test some wires..

Customer:

Ok thanks for trying...at least I wont have to tear my seats apart

Brad :

Here is a wiring... If you get a test light or Ohm Meter test the 2 leads going to seat solenoid... If you understand the wiring, it should have 12v on pins 2 and ground on pins 1.. It may be a voltage from Seatbelt Module or a ground issue

Brad :

And here is where it gets 12v from.. If nothing is coming out of the Seatbelt module.. And the module has 12v and ground.. I suggest replacing the Seatbelt module...

Brad :

If you get a Ohm-meter or testlight, and need anything else feel free to follow-up with me at no-charge...

Have a great day!!!!!
Brad