Canadafix
Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience:  Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles

Dodge Charger SE: what does it mean when my oil light keeps

what does it mean when my oil light keeps blinking after I've already put 2qts of oil n the car
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.

Canadafix :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Canadafix :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you with the oil light question.

Canadafix :

Does the light go off when the engine speed is increased?

Customer:

yes and when i come to a stop it comes back on

Canadafix :

Was the engine ever run out of oil?

Customer:

Not for sure i just got it out of the shop yesterday, and it was kind of knocking I checked my oil and its really thin

Canadafix :

Thin oil could certainly cause the light to come on.

Canadafix :

Was the oil recently changed?

Customer:

so why does it knock a bit when i accelerate

Customer:

no it hasnt been changed i had it in the shop for 10 months and just got it out yesterday

Canadafix :

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but the knock and the oil light it could be a bad rod or main bearing on the crankshaft.

Customer:

does either one of those responses you just said means that I have to get the motor rebuilt or replaced

Customer:

I'm getting the oil changed tomorrow

Canadafix :

Possibly. How many miles on the engine?

Customer:

104,320

Canadafix :

Not a lot of miles. Has it been driven hard over it's life?

Customer:

yes it has I'm the 3rd owner

Customer:

I had just had the heads redone and the motor rebulit last year

Canadafix :

OK, here is a synopsis. If the engine uses oil, has a knock and the oil light is coming on, then it may be time for a rebuild. If it does not use oil, then it's possible that a crank bearing has failed and the bearings may need to be replaced.

Canadafix :

If the crankshaft is still OK, it may not be too bad of a job.

Customer:

okay thank you so much

Canadafix :

You are welcome. I do hope it works out OK for you.

Customer:

thanks

Canadafix :

Glad to help. Take care.

Customer:

k

Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience: Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles