-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Dodge Nitro: i have a 2007 Dodge Nitro slt and the tire pressure

i have a 2007 Dodge Nitro slt and the tire pressure monitors in the tires were replaced and the Nitro was driven and they didn't reset? is there a problem with the 2007 tpm system? should i be looking somewhere else to fix the problem of the gage telling me to check the tpm?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you.. If you replaced the tire presssure sensors, you need to have them programmed..

Brad :

Use the TPM-RKE Analyzer, 9936, with the Scan Tool to program the WCM/SKREEM with the tire pressure sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test.

Customer:

i was told to drive around for 15min at 20kms an hour and that would reset the TPM. That didn't work. I took it to a dodge dealership and they couldn't reset it either. Their after market tire pressure monitors valves look the same as the original Dodge parts.

Brad :

I'm a Dodge Dealership Tech... Anytime you replace a Tire Pressure sensor it has a unique ID on the sensor... That needs to be programmed into the WCM.. Are they OEM sensors?

Customer:

yes

Brad :

6.Adjust air pressure to that listed on Tire Inflation Pressure Label (Placard) provided with vehicle (usually applied to driver's side B-pillar). Make sure original style valve stem cap is securely installed to keep moisture out of sensor.

7.Install tire and wheel assembly on vehicle.

8.Remove the support and lower the vehicle.

9.Perform one of the following to make the system learn the new sensor ID.

a.Use the TPM-RKE Analyzer, 9936, with the Scan Tool to program the WCM/SKREEM with the tire pressure sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Wireless Control (WCM) - Standard Procedure)

b.Once the vehicle has remained stationary for more thanXXXXXvehicle for a minimum of 10 minutes while maintaining a continuous speed above 15 mph (24 km/h). During this time, the system will learn the new sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Wireless Control (WCM) - Standard Procedure)

NOTE:If a sensor cannot be trained, refer to appropriate diagnostic information.

Brad :

That is directly from Dodge on how to replace a Tire Monitor sensor...

Brad :

You can try part B.. To see if it learns it

Brad :

If not, the sensors will need to be programmed

Customer:

ok are there any other reason that the tpm would fail?

Brad :

Fail as in not program?

Customer:

fail as in showing check tpm system on dash

Customer:

i was told that the valves have a life span of 5 years does this sound right?

Customer:

i replaced the valves and did option b but that didn't work to fix the light.

Brad :

Yes, they do last a while.. Here is one case I found on the "Check TPM"

Brad :

Case NumberK05559363
Vehicle IssueTire Pressure Monitor(TPM) warning indicator or Service TPM warning message is displayed. Accompanied by Codes C1501, C1502, C1503, C1504.;All 4 C150X codes are displayed at one time.
System or Component
RecommendationTypically this concern occurs after "swapping tires and wheels" from another vehicle, or new TPM sensors have been installed.To check for incompatible wheel/TPM sensors, use the 9936 TPM/RKE tester and check sensor operation. Ensure the 9936 tool is up to date and reflects the Year/Model vehicle you are working on. Tool updates are available on DealerCONNECT.Using the 9936 TPM/RKE tool, enter the Year/Model vehicle you are working on and then use the "test" feature on the tool, If the Sensor "fails" the test, It is incompatible for the vehicle you are working on. Check to see if incompatible wheels and tires have been installed on the Vehicle or the Wrong TPM sensors have been installed.
Modification Date
04/30/08 3:21 PM

Brad :

Did the dealership tell you what codes were in the system?

Customer:

no

Brad :

Ok, since the Part B didn't work there is something wrong.. The dealership should of had the TPM/RKE tool that I use at my dealership.. This reads the sensor codes,,, And then you can go into the WCM and program tham..

Customer:

i have the factory wheels but different tires with 60,000 km on them

Brad :

The tires won't make any difference....

Customer:

so try a different dealership

Brad :

Correct! Just tell them you replaced your Tire sensors and you need them programmed..

Customer:

ok thanks for you time have a great day, will try to get them reprogrammed at a different dealership.

Brad :

I'm sorry that the dealership you went to gave you such a hard time... But some just don't want or don't know how to repair some things

Brad :

Have I answered all of your questions?

Brad :

Feel free to print this out and take it to dealership with you

Brad :

Well I want to Thank You for choosing JustAnswer. It was my pleasure assisting you, and if you have any future questions feel free to Request me

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-dodgetech77/ Thank you and have a greatday!!!!! Brad

-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.