-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge Ram 1500 SLT: my 2003 ram 1500 will not shift up into

Customer Question

my 2003 ram 1500 will not shift up into third gear. it runs fine in first and second, when it goes to shift into third the engine revs as if it it in neutral and the truck just coasts
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is Brad and I will be assisting you.. What engine do you have?

Customer :

it is the "small" v-8

Customer :

4.7 liter I think

Brad :

Ok, that makes a difference in what transmission you have... With the 4.7 you have a 45RFE...

Brad :

Have you checked your trans fluid? And how does it look?

Customer :

level is fine, looks nice and red

Brad :

Is your check engine light on?

Brad :

Also not on the subject, may I ask..Are you on a cell phone?

Customer :

i bought the truck used five years ago and the check engine light has always been on. It has been put on the computer before and shown no problems. No, computer.

Customer :

guy at auto parts store sold me a sensor that he says screws into side of tranny. he has 2002 ram and said his did same thing, replaced this sensor and fixed problem. I can't see the sensor on my truck though

Brad :

I understand... Can you do me a favor and turn your key 3 times to check for any codes in system.. For example: Off/On, Off/On, Off/On leave on and watch your odometer reading.. Write down the codes

Customer :

ok, brb

Brad :

Well the 5.2 and the 5.9 have different transmissions than the 4.7

Customer :

P0456, P0700, P0113

Brad :

The P-0456 is Evap leak, The P0700 is telling you that you have Trans codes.. The P-0113 is the Intake air temp...

I will need you to get your Transmission Control Module scanned for codes in order to continue diagnostics

Customer :

ok, where do i get that done? Mechanic's shop?

Brad :

But just to give you a head's up.... Anytime a trans rev's like it's in neutral, there is hard parts that are faulty...

Yes, you will need to either go to Advanced Auto or Auto Zone and see if they can read transmission codes.. If not you will need to take it to a shop

But with it only going into 1st/2nd, I believe you are not going to be able to drive it far

Brad :

When you get the codes, post them here and I can begin diagnostcs with you