-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

2007 Dodge: vibration in the steering wheel..braking..front end

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram there is a vibration in the steering wheel while braking and hear humming coming from the front end at slow speeds. Please let me know what the problem might be thank you
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you.. This condition sounds like a front wheel bearing and the brake rotors sound to be worped... Have you inspected them?

Brad :

There is also a Recall on the 2007 Dodge Ram for the front Wheel Brgs.. May I have the last 8 of your VIN so I can run it thru Dodge and see it is valid for your truck?

Customer:

No i havent yet how could i tell by looking at them? (rotors) my last 8 of vin are 7j549774 thanks

Brad :

I have run your VIN and you have no open recalls...You cannot test the rotors by looking at them.. But by your description of the steering wheel vibrating while applying brakes is a very good indicator that the rotors are in fact worped..

Brad :

Can you jack up one wheel up front and with one hand at top and the other at the bottom of tire, try and move it up and down... Example: Push each hand toward the tire to try and make it move... If it has "Any" loose play the wheel bearing is faulty and the Hub/Bearing will need to be replaced

Customer:

Yes that is what i figured the problem was with the rotors.I will try that for the wheel bearings. Money is a little tight at the moment any idea what a hub bearing might cost?also is it ok to drive on faulty bearings for a short time?

Brad :

Sure! Just a sec while I get that info for you..

Brad :

The Hub/Bearing is 229.00 from the Dealership.. It will be less from an aftermarket company, but I suggest purchasing OEM parts..

Brad :

Have I answered all of your questions?

Customer:

Yes so far thanks

Brad :

Do you have anymore questions?

Customer:

just wondering if it is ok to drive on faulty wheel bearings for a short period of time?

Brad :

Well that is hard to say... I really need to know how bad it is.. If you can wiggle the tire alot then I would say dont drive it unless you have to... If the tire moves just a little, it will probally last a while..

-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)